Charts

More of a bells and whistles suggestion, really.

Now, I like to follow the views, downloads, comments and ratings of my files. However I'd really like to see how these things evolve over time.

Therefore I ask if it'd be perhaps possible to have a chart view of these happenings in your "File managing" centre? In a time line, annotated by the file activity. Updated once a day or so.

Thank you.

As much as I'd love to do this the servers just can't handle processing the download statistics for files. Searching for all the downloads for a file like Midas Magic produces an SQL query that takes 15 seconds to execute, going through about 60 million table rows. I'm sure you can appreciate that in the computer world 15 seconds is a life-time!

Maybe in the future when I get more clever, but for now it's not a possibility.

Oh my, that's most certainly way more than the limit where one might still consider adding bells and whistles a good idea.

Oh well, glad you like the idea though, might oh might it perhaps be one of the things you thought of yourself, but never came around to do because of the aforementioned reasons? ;D

Heh, I'm not pretentious enough to believe that every idea in this world can be original.

as for statistics well... lets put it this way... there are certain evolvements of a file over time:

upon release: many people see the file on the new file page and therefore download it

a few days after: noone sees the file anymore and only those that search for somin related to the key words find it resulting in heavily dwindeling downloads

upon update: the file reappears in the "updated files" section and some users find it by chance which results in the downloads going up a bit again

it seems that most downloads are indeed done by long time members or regular visitors who check those "new file/update" categories frequently or people who track files, in those times where my mods weren't in any of the lists i usually only have about 50 downloads a day of which most are probably resulting due to search or link, in times where im on one of these lists the downloads usually do a big jump like 1k downloads a day

---------------------------------------------------------

ways to increase downloads:

make a release post in the beth forum and get a few downloads extra

release dependency mods and get a few extra downloads

give your mod a name including: final fantasy, world of warcraft, a random anime, m16, tits, sex or drugs and be sure to see the downloads skyrocket :D

oh and never give permission or mods like FOOK will get 150k downloads while yours only get 20k ;)

(blabla personel experience lol... too bad i actually like the idea behind fook and linkes auge seems like a nice guy...)

btw how are you dude? long time no hear (yaya my fault - will try to get on skype one day or another)

-----------------------

well thats probably not exactly what you wanted but it might give you an idea what going on with your files

Slow http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/i/imslow.gif started from scratch, top to bottom, new architecture and everything. Spline modelling is a big help - plenty of organic shapes. Big changes in the storyline as well, after finding a strange reference to TES Dragoons and some of the developers stands towards these things. Fake water / fake grass coming along as well, I think I've got most of the knowledge need to put both together, just gotta ask QQuix to do and polish it. (Couldn't get him to search for that knowledge though lol, funny fact)

And I'm not really looking to increase my downloads. Was just curious about how it changes during the day/night/when I update/when I fart etc. There's something enthralling about watching the downloads slowly grow. A chart version of the growth would probably be something like the television for me xD. Whatever the rate.

I actually did this with Lost Paladins of the Divines. It is interesting to see a history of growth over time.

The best solution might be to create a script that hits your mod page and collects the critical information and stores it in a database (which can then be exported to an excel file for charting).

I wrote a couple of apps before that watches web pages (VBScript) or dialog windows (AutoIT).

LHammonds

Eh, too bad I don't know that much about these things.

I do understand some basic php/mysql, I wonder if it's possible to create a crawler with php. I think it should, I've seen php bots in dA chatrooms, I'm just guessing by name, but it should be more of the same, right?

And once I've got things in a database... Well I'm sure I could find an example of a java script that'd plot the graphs in a webpage.

Hmm.

AspTear was the server-side component I used to grab text from various other site page (weather, news, stocks, etc.) in order to consolidate an informative dashboard of info. :D

There is a Firefox extension that can help automate tasks but I cannot remember the name of it. I will edit this post if I find it.

Archived