Small Troubles and Practical Solutions

Maharg67

This topic is about being posting 'small problems' they encounter and others posting 'practical solutions' to those problems.

Please keep this topic light hearted with out turning it into some kind of joke fest!

My small problem is having difficulty opening jars and some bottles. Any practical answers?

My small problem is having difficulty opening jars and some bottles. Any practical answers?

My wife uses a nutcracker to open bottles she can't normally open with her hands, sounds stupid but it works quite well. As for jars, I've seen her opening those by wrapping a kitchen rag tightly around the lid then pulling it while holding the jar, also sounds stupid but I've seen her doing it, and it works.

She's a smart girl, that's why I married her. :smile:

One thing I recommend avoiding is hitting the jar against the table, she got in a hospital once because of cutting her hands on a broken jar, she tried to release the seal by tapping it against the table and it broke. The glass on those things tends to be pretty thin and can break easily, I sometimes manage to rip the top of the jar off just by twisting the cap, so brute force is not recommended.

As for some more practical solutions, I got one for those with long hair. If you want to avoid your hair getting into the hair dryer (which stinks badly and may mess up your hair badly as well if it tangles into the fan), use women's nylons. Stretch a piece of those over the air intake, it won't smother the thing so it won't overheat, and it won't drag your hair into the fan. Pretty simple and it works quite well. :wink:

Nylons also work well from keeping a lot of dust from entering your PC case if you put them over the intake fans, and you can make plenty of patches out of one pair, but you should stretch them only slightly.

Thanks for the feedback on the better opening of jars; I will study all of them.

Since I have had problems with cat hair getting into my computer, I might try the 'nylons solution' to help with that.

Please keep coming with problems and solutions.

PS: if you use flat pouch type containers of pet food, to avoid wastage cut the pouches in half when they are almost empty. You will be surprised just how much food is still in the pouches including the 'juices' on the inside. The cutting needs to be done with care, can be niggly, but is worth it when it comes to saving money (especially if you use many pet food pouches) and not wasting food. Also your pet, or pets, will appreciate the extra food.

Edited by Maharg67