Vortex_lnk file

tiemedie
Go to solution Solved by Tannin42,

Hello,

I recently downloaded fallout 4 on my new computer and tried to add all my mods on to this pc so i can still use my save.
I can't change clothing in outfit studio as most files that used to be a .nif are now a .nif.vortex_lff. I don't really get how to edit the file to a normal .nif file, tried to redownload the files and the mod manager itself to the same HDD (D) drive, but no luck.
I don't get it. I can still play the game but can't edit outfits to change them to an outfit i made myself.
Any help for a fix?

Sounds like you've (somehow) enabled Symlink deployed for Fallout 4. Go to Settings -> Mods -> Deployment and set it to "Hardlink".

Hope this helps.

Hi, Thank you for the responce!

I looked into the location you said, but the only option i have is ''Move deployment (experimental)'' and thats the only one i have.

• Solution

yeah, move deployment is the only option if your filesystem is fat32 (or more generally: doesn't support symlinks or hardlinks)

The way move deployment works is that the actual files are moved to the game directory, leaving behind (in staging) vortex_lnk files to keep track of which files were deployed this way.

It is super easy for users to mess this up, e.g. if you delete the vortex deployment file, Vortex may forget it deployed at all and then treat the link files as actual files.

Also, and I think that may be the problem in your case: You can't run tools from the staging folder directly because the staging folder doesn't contain actual files any more. The only solution is to deploy the tools and run them from the game directory, not from the staging folder.

yeah, move deployment is the only option if your filesystem is fat32 (or more generally: doesn't support symlinks or hardlinks)

The way move deployment works is that the actual files are moved to the game directory, leaving behind (in staging) vortex_lnk files to keep track of which files were deployed this way.

It is super easy for users to mess this up, e.g. if you delete the vortex deployment file, Vortex may forget it deployed at all and then treat the link files as actual files.

Also, and I think that may be the problem in your case: You can't run tools from the staging folder directly because the staging folder doesn't contain actual files any more. The only solution is to deploy the tools and run them from the game directory, not from the staging folder.

Thank you! That worked, i send the game and the mods to my c drive and now the option is there.