Shouts as an interesting and plausible combat option

cobratom

So I searched around, and I didn't see anything quite like this available. I wish I had the know-how to do it myself, but who know, maybe someone will like it enough to take it up.

I've always thought shouts were too limited. I would like to see a Shout tree added to the skill levels, and the way of using them changed a bit.

What I had in mind was that using a shout starts the timer as normal. However, you may shout again before the timer is finished. if you do, an appropriate amount of magicka or stamina is drained instead, and the timer starts over. The bar drained would depend on the type of shout. It would be pretty intuitive, fire, frost, bend will, etc, would drain magicka, while whirlwind sprint, elemental fury, etc, would drain stamina. The amount drained would correspond to the power of the shout (1,2, or 3 words) and the power of the shout compared to others (shouts with longer CD times would drain more than ones with shorter times).

Finally, you may shout if the corresponding magicka or stamina bar is empty or insufficient, but doing this would drain life instead, potentially killing you.

As far as the skill tree, you would gain experience for using the shouts appropriately. Doing damage to enemies with fire, clearing the skies with Clear Skies, etc. Perks would be increases to damage output, reduction in cool down times and energy drain, and maybe range.

What do you guys think? The game makes a huge deal out of us being Dragonborn, but most times it seems like the ability to shout is an afterthought. I'd like to see shouting become a truly lore friendly yet feasible combat option alongside melee and magic.

As far as the skill tree, you would gain experience for using the shouts appropriately. Doing damage to enemies with fire, clearing the skies with Clear Skies, etc. Perks would be increases to damage output, reduction in cool down times and energy drain, and maybe range.

This part. Players don't have the ability to add new skills or perk trees. Not sure about the rest but, I don't think that can be done either.

This part. Players don't have the ability to add new skills or perk trees. Not sure about the rest but, I don't think that can be done either.

I'd look over Requiem if I were you. It doesn't add any new trees, but it does add a couple of new perks to existing trees. I would imagine that the same coding used to add perks can be used to add entire trees.

You're right about the skills and perk trees (as I explain to AlduinWorldEater below), but there might be a way to do the rest. Check my reply here and let me know if you see any problems with it.

I'd look over Requiem if I were you. It doesn't add any new trees, but it does add a couple of new perks to existing trees. I would imagine that the same coding used to add perks can be used to add entire trees.

It's a very simple thing to add new perks to the game and to attach them to a tree. Making a new tree, however, is impossible. I haven't seen anything on it in awhile, but I seem to remember someone trying to hack a new tree into the game a LONG time ago (because in the CK, there isn't even the possibility of it), but it caused massive issues. That might not be 100% correct, but I'm 99% certain adding new trees is not possible. HOWEVER, Skyrim Redone had a unique and reasonable solution. It combined two skills and sed the now empty skill tree for its skill.