I come home from work on bonfire night and see this...

MartinPurvis

Yet one more reason to get home video surveilance. I have a double wide gate on one side of my house that has been almost destroyed by people trying to force it to open the wrong way. It's mounted on 8"x8" pressure treated posts and one of them has cracked off at the bottom, held in place only by the rest of the fence on the non-gate side. :(

Hope you and your neighbors find out who did it so you can make them eithe replace it themselves or pay to have it done.

As a fellow brit you have my sympathies and see this kind of crap all too often, it seems the kids will take any excuse to vandalise with any holiday just for kicks. Just count yourself lucky we don't live in more of a dangerous state and nothing more was done to your property, most of the kids over here do this s*** to show off in front of their mates just count yourself lucky there wasn't intent to get into your house. I'd say contact the police but it seems they can't be arsed these days.

I am so sorry to see that kinda thing. Makes a body want to go about setting some booby traps firmly on your property with no trespassing signs put up for next time, eh?

And that's why I have my front fence built using forty 250mm thick, forged solid steel supports, each weighing over 150kg and are anchored 80cm deep into reinforced concrete of a WWII naval artillery bunker located beneath the house (my cellar). The 40mm plywood fence is being held with 40mm thick forged solid steel bars spanning between the posts. Gotta say, it's good to know a crazy blacksmith, along with an insane carpenter.

Seems kinda drastic, very drastic actually, but it's not. I had some problems with drunk people driving through my front yard, the street is usually dark at night since street lights have bad electrical installations, my house is also located on a curve that has no signs showing there is a curve and there's a club just down the road so drunks are driving there nearly every day going back and forth. And then there are dumb kids in a school up the road that think destroying people's property is good fun.

I put solar lamps on the posts so driver can see there's no road in that direction, but those too drunk to realize that become an ornament on my fence. Kids on the other hand can smash the fence all they want since the material is too resistant, they can only scratch it, I've seen them trying to ram it with some fire extinguisher once and it was hilarious.

Cost me four times more than a normal fence, but my whole expense since I did that is buying a few plywood boards and nailing them back once someone drives into them, so I'd say it was a worthy investment.

Edited by Werne