Unable to install SKSE since the windows update

flameshiva

Maybe it's a coincidence about the windows update but it seem strange. Anyway I hope someone can help with this annoying problem. I receive the following messages when trying to install, '' Destination folder access denied You need to provide administrator permission, you need permission to perform this action. '' and it wont allow installation. I checked permissions and it seems I do have full access so I don't know what is going on but it is very stressful. Also I noticed that I cannot remove read only from folders like Skyrim SE now, it just reverts back to read only always

Sounds pretty much like Windows over-reacting a bit... Just guessing: Is your game installed in the "Program Files (x86)" or "Program Files" folder on your system drive (the one, where Windows is installed, usually C:)?

There's a long history of problems with those folders since at least Windows 7. Windows kinda likes to treat and protect them as system folders, although they aren't... If possible, you should install games (and especially Skyrim with its additions like SKSE and various .dll files) outside the folders named above.

Odd. I run skyrim from the x86 location (default on C) and have no issues. Are you referring to the Windows 10, 21H2 update? (pending on my machine).

As far as 21H1 goes, all's well so far. In fact, I just installed SKSE 2.0.20 a few days ago and haven't seen any strange behavior from Windows since installing the 21H1 update 3 months ago.

I am running 21H2 and SSE v1.6.353.0 although I do not have Steam installed in program files. My game runs fine.

Operating systems and computers are funny things; some years ago I read a post in Steam Skyrim forum from a person who said that he and his brother bought identical computers, installed the same Windows operating system and had very different results. He had no problem at all playing Skyrim while his brother had constant problems

I have come to the conclusion over a period of years that every computer is as individual as the person who owns or operates it. There is nothing odd at all about having a different result than somebody who does exactly what another does.

I have installed onto a different drive and not in program files. Thank You everything installed ok. It's a pity that Steam defaults to program files.

if your running game version 1.353 youll need to get SKSE version 2.1.5 from their archives in order to use mods. the new SKSE is incompatible with that version of the game