Fallout 4 vanilla guns. Mostly Suck.

StormWolf01

HEHEHEEEEEEE!! Yeah, so do i! I really wish I knew the scripting language for this game, I'd try to cobble some of those together and see if I could make it work.

There's a way to get it so that companions don't do that. But it means messing around with their AI settings. As far as AoE weaps are concerned.

But yeah. :laugh: That can be either a very funny lesson, or a very aggravating one!

In my early days I gave Nick a launcher, for the first BoS quest. I thought, ok, he can take out a bunch of those other synths. Yeah, NO.

Death scene, Death scene, Death scene.

HAHAHA ok here's a thought. Give the launcher to a companion, and then play a melee fighter :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do you have a secret masochistic streak? :D

I hate companions. With a passion. I don't even take dogmeat with me. They are constantly in the way, giving away my position, attacking MUCH sooner than I prefer, rushing in to do melee when they have a perfectly good ranged weapon, and ammo for it, stepping in front of me just as I have a good long-range shot on the OTHER guy with the missile launcher/fatman, etc. I got fed up with 'em, and just quit using them. I do my best to avoid quests were I am REQUIRED to take one with me..... though, Danse, in power armor.... I just let him go first. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't hate them, not even Preston (I just don't talk to him) but I definitely don't like them. Even shot a few in their face (before reloading) out of frustration & stopped using them (unless I have to), except for dogmeat. I do take MJ along sometimes, just for the company, but always take any grenades, molotovs, rockets etc. away.

As they do indeed tend to kill me more often as the enemy by using them. Especially within close quarters its extremely annoying. (as well as the 'step in front while aiming')

I use the K9 tactical armor for DM, so she doesn't die as easy and adds a lot of carrying capacity (so, I'm using the dog as a mule ;) )

She doesn't (usually) give me away while sneaking or engage the enemy while trying to sneak passed. Like almost all the others do. I can even add grenades and stuff, since DM will not throw them at YOU :)

As for guns,

In reality, ALL "modern firearms" would be useless after 200 years and there would be little to no ammo left. (& very hard to make)

pipeguns & muskets would rule the world. But, yeah, those really suck in the game. (just good enough for the first hour of a new play through)

Well, I don't hate them, not even Preston (I just don't talk to him) but I definitely don't like them. Even shot a few in their face (before reloading) out of frustration & stopped using them (unless I have to), except for dogmeat. I do take MJ along sometimes, just for the company, but always take any grenades, molotovs, rockets etc. away.

As they do indeed tend to kill me more often as the enemy by using them. Especially within close quarters its extremely annoying. (as well as the 'step in front while aiming')

I use the K9 tactical armor for DM, so she doesn't die as easy and adds a lot of carrying capacity (so, I'm using the dog as a mule :wink: )

She doesn't (usually) give me away while sneaking or engage the enemy while trying to sneak passed. Like almost all the others do. I can even add grenades and stuff, since DM will not throw them at YOU :smile:

As for guns,

In reality, ALL "modern firearms" would be useless after 200 years and there would be little to no ammo left. (& very hard to make)

pipeguns & muskets would rule the world. But, yeah, those really suck in the game. (just good enough for the first hour of a new play through)

I doubt there would be ANY cartridge firearms left. The tech to reproduce ammo would have collapsed with the war. The folks in New Vegas seem to have figgered it out though...... Raw materials might be fun to come by.....

I use the K9 tactical armor for DM, so she doesn't die as easy and adds a lot of carrying capacity (so, I'm using the dog as a mule :wink: )

She doesn't (usually) give me away while sneaking or engage the enemy while trying to sneak passed. Like almost all the others do. I can even add grenades and stuff, since DM will not throw them at YOU :smile:

As for guns,

I doubt there would be ANY cartridge firearms left. The tech to reproduce ammo would have collapsed with the war. The folks in New Vegas seem to have figgered it out though...... Raw materials might be fun to come by.....

At the very least you will need old fashioned gunpowder (or blackpowder). For that you need sulfur, carbon (charcoal) & saltpeter (potassium nitrate). You can use rocks as projectile, if metals are rare. (just like the very first guns we created centuries ago.)

With all the burned trees, there's enough charcoal* and with brahmin manure you can get some saltpeter & it looks like there are quite a few sulfur mines inside Massachusetts, so that would be possible in this case. You still need a chemistry lab of sorts, but not as impossible as using modern day ammunition's.

There was ones a TV series which actually addressed this (in part): Revolution (2012 - 2014)

* = I should add that this is actually very unrealistic, unless ALL insects and micro organisms died. Which means the planet will turn into a Mars landscape & there is no life possible for humans anymore ...

As for guns,

At the very least you will need old fashioned gunpowder (or blackpowder). For that you need sulfur, carbon (charcoal) & saltpeter (potassium nitrate). You can use rocks as projectile, if metals are rare. (just like the very first guns we created centuries ago.)

With all the burned trees, there's enough charcoal* and with brahmin manure you can get some saltpeter & it looks like there are quite a few sulfur mines inside Massachusetts, so that would be possible in this case. You still need a chemistry lab of sorts, but not as impossible as using modern day ammunition's.

There was ones a TV series which actually addressed this (in part): Revolution (2012 - 2014)

* = I should add that this is actually very unrealistic, unless ALL insects and micro organisms died. Which means the planet will turn into a Mars landscape & there is no life possible for humans anymore ...

Plenty of scrap metal around as well. :D So, just need a forge, and a method of drilling a hole thru a metal tube. I have no clue how they did it way back when..... Haven't dug into it that much. (no plans for producing firearms here.... :) )

Cockroaches would survive. They don't seem to be as adversely effected by radiation. Initially, I would expect their population to outright explode. Lots o' stuff to munch on, and no, or very few, humans spraying pesticides..... After 200 years, the bulk of the radiation would be down to 'acceptable' levels, though I would question whether ANY water sources would provide drinkable water.... That would have to be a DEEP well....

As for guns,

Plenty of scrap metal around as well. :D So, just need a forge, and a method of drilling a hole thru a metal tube. I have no clue how they did it way back when..... Haven't dug into it that much. (no plans for producing firearms here.... :smile: )

Cockroaches would survive. They don't seem to be as adversely effected by radiation. Initially, I would expect their population to outright explode. Lots o' stuff to munch on, and no, or very few, humans spraying pesticides..... After 200 years, the bulk of the radiation would be down to 'acceptable' levels, though I would question whether ANY water sources would provide drinkable water.... That would have to be a DEEP well....

In 200 years? ALL fallout will have washed away to the bottom of the oceans. In fact, it will only take a few years for that 'problem' to be 'solved'.

The worst radiation is gone in weeks, the rest in months to several years. Staying underground for 25 years is more then enough. After 200+ years ... there hardly is anything left to harm you.

The water itself will not be radiated. It's the 'dust' it collects and transports which is the problem. But only for a few years. Tops. (although hotspots will probably take longer, depending on weather as well. (Without rain, the fallout doesn't wash away so easily)

Cockroaches would indeed survive. (& NOT mutate) as do scorpions. However, dead trees & plants are 'decomposed' by microorganisms. This in turn, with the help of worms (amongst others) creates fertile soil. Many plants rely on insects to 'disperse' their seeds. IF most of that is gone (as the game implies) there is simply no hope for humanity. (as plants would disappear, there's no food & all land animals would die of famine, including 'us') - To stay inside the vaults, would be pretty much the only option.

...but as we can see from places like Hiroshima & Tjernobyl nature will NOT be as devastated as the game depicts. Unless there's a nuclear winter several years long (which will have the same result, the death of 99% of all land animals & plants.). But even then, many seeds will survive and grow again when the sun returns.

In 200 years, earth would probably look like it did hundreds of years ago. Full of lush forests, instead of deserts. Depending on the survival of insects and micro organisms.

Edited by RoNin1971

As for guns,

Plenty of scrap metal around as well. :D So, just need a forge, and a method of drilling a hole thru a metal tube. I have no clue how they did it way back when..... Haven't dug into it that much. (no plans for producing firearms here.... :smile: )

In 200 years? ALL fallout will have washed away to the bottom of the oceans. In fact, it will only take a few years for that 'problem' to be 'solved'.

The worst radiation is gone in weeks, the rest in months to several years. Staying underground for 25 years is more then enough. After 200+ years ... there hardly is anything left to harm you.

The water itself will not be radiated. It's the 'dust' it collects and transports which is the problem. But only for a few years. Tops. (although hotspots will probably take longer, depending on weather as well. (Without rain, the fallout doesn't wash away so easily)

Cockroaches would indeed survive. (& NOT mutate) as do scorpions. However, dead trees & plants are 'decomposed' by microorganisms. This in turn, with the help of worms (amongst others) creates fertile soil. Many plants rely on insects to 'disperse' their seeds. IF most of that is gone (as the game implies) there is simply no hope for humanity. (as plants would disappear, there's no food & all land animals would die of famine, including 'us') - To stay inside the vaults, would be pretty much the only option.

...but as we can see from places like Hiroshima & Tjernobyl nature will NOT be as devastated as the game depicts. Unless there's a nuclear winter several years long (which will have the same result, the death of 99% of all land animals & plants.). But even then, many seeds will survive and grow again when the sun returns.

In 200 years, earth would probably look like it did hundreds of years ago. Full of lush forests, instead of deserts. Depending on the survival of insects and micro organisms.

Chernobyl, and surrounding areas, are still uninhabitable by man though..... Granted, it hasn't been 200 years, but, yeah, nature is taking over the areas that were once cities. But, that's a whole nother kettle o' fish. :D NONE of the buildings depicted in-game would still be standing. Realistically, that late in the game, you would be hard pressed to point out where a city once was..... nature would have reclaimed all of it.

Chernobyl, and surrounding areas, are still uninhabitable by man though..... Granted, it hasn't been 200 years, but, yeah, nature is taking over the areas that were once cities. But, that's a whole nother kettle o' fish. :D NONE of the buildings depicted in-game would still be standing. Realistically, that late in the game, you would be hard pressed to point out where a city once was..... nature would have reclaimed all of it.

Correct. Well, not completely uninhabitable, but as we avoid even the slightest risk of an increased chance of cancer and the likes (unless there's money to be made ...), yeah, nobody goes there (except for tourists and recently a bunch of "Orcs".)

Wild boar from the German forests are still considered 'not-consumable' for the same reason.

No wood, no glass, no paint is EVER going to survive 200 years. Without maintenance your lucky if there's any of that after 50.

200 is to short for it all to disappear, but 'concrete jungle' would get a whole new meaning ;)

There are a few nice documentaries dealing with such 'scenario'.

Even though the world can end up looking like 'The road', for a while. In the end the planet, nature & animal kingdom will benefit from the lack of humans around & thrive.

The game is not realistic in any way, and frankly, I don't care. Its a game. Its fantasy.

Anyway, I digress. It was about weapons :P

& for that you could use casting. (that's how they did it in the past)

Although that won't work for small firearms. (heavy & bulky, as you need a thick layer of cast bronze, iron or whatever you use, to handle the pressure)

So, although I do agree the vanilla pipeguns suck (big time) I do consider them a lot more realistic as all those 'modern weapons' mods. (except for their use of regular bullets like .38 instead of 'makeshift ammo'). I'm actually quite satisfied with my sniper rifle & assault rifle. I carry 2 of each. 1 for daytime & 1 with nightvision.

I don't realy mind it (the assault rifle) looks like a watercooled vickers from WW1.

i just add the guns i want to use and not even bother to add the to the level list. this point for me Fallout 4 is just a sandbox with a story i ignore.

Aye, same here. I haven't really even played the game in months. (And that's being generous!) but yeah. I mostly just load up the toys that I want, and forget about all the rest. Tho sometimes I do sit around messing with Wacky Weapons Workshop (it's a bethesda.net mod that I've had FOREVER) that is pretty fun just to see what kind of craziness you can come up with.

Ok, so one big thing. Two, actually. Shell casings. It REALLY is not easy to try to make a shell casing. Which leads to the next step. Primers. The shell casings were hard? Try making a primer. WIthout modern tech.

There's also 200 years worth of corrosion to take into effect. And if the powder used was cheap, is it still 100% effective? (I've had some old russian surplus ammo that definitely wasn't worth a damn.)

Do believe, (and if I'm wrong, I'll readily appreciate a correction) That the first barrels were Cast. As in, molten metal poured into a mold, kind of cast.

Thats why cannon were so expensive at the time. It was difficult to find people who could afford to make molds for them. And then cast them without nasty defects. It was the same with bellfounders. (Is that the right term?)

It got a lot easier once they discovered that they could use bar stock. And then drive a button (a harder peice of steel the size and shape that you want the interior of the barrel to be) though it. Tho for longer barrels, that gets difficult to keep the interior straight.