Fallout 4 vanilla guns. Mostly Suck.

StormWolf01

i just add the guns i want to use and not even bother to add the to the level list. this point for me Fallout 4 is just a sandbox with a story i ignore.

Aye, same here. I haven't really even played the game in months. (And that's being generous!) but yeah. I mostly just load up the toys that I want, and forget about all the rest. Tho sometimes I do sit around messing with Wacky Weapons Workshop (it's a bethesda.net mod that I've had FOREVER) that is pretty fun just to see what kind of craziness you can come up with.

Ok, so one big thing. Two, actually. Shell casings. It REALLY is not easy to try to make a shell casing. Which leads to the next step. Primers. The shell casings were hard? Try making a primer. WIthout modern tech.

There's also 200 years worth of corrosion to take into effect. And if the powder used was cheap, is it still 100% effective? (I've had some old russian surplus ammo that definitely wasn't worth a damn.)

Do believe, (and if I'm wrong, I'll readily appreciate a correction) That the first barrels were Cast. As in, molten metal poured into a mold, kind of cast.

Thats why cannon were so expensive at the time. It was difficult to find people who could afford to make molds for them. And then cast them without nasty defects. It was the same with bellfounders. (Is that the right term?)

It got a lot easier once they discovered that they could use bar stock. And then drive a button (a harder peice of steel the size and shape that you want the interior of the barrel to be) though it. Tho for longer barrels, that gets difficult to keep the interior straight.

Correct. (I just mentioned it in my post above). At first each cannon even required its own ammo, as they all had different sizes. Until the British smartened up and did their best to make 'm all the same size. One of the reasons they could beat the Spanish fleet.

Modern bullets will likely run out in a few years, but yeah, after 200 corrosion will destroy them and the powder probably won't do much either.

Edited by RoNin1971

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as plant life the commonwealth would be a evergreen forest the seeds of conifers are adapted to survive extreme heat and cold events you can see this in reality as pine trees are the first trees that start growing after a forest fire. grasses would be a stretch as far as food plants it is believable that seeds were kept in shelters and with the lack of pollinating insects the pollination could be done via artificial means by using a feather or soft brush a time consuming process but better than starvation.

that being said the foods being grown would resemble real world foods and not the mutants we see in game.

Edited by dusanyu

RoniN: :) Yeah, I was backing you up on that, about the barrels being cast. ;)

Interesting! I thought that the first cannon were like oversized blunderbuss, and they just shoved whatever they could find that would fit into it. Now granted, that did still happen during the civil war.

Interesting note: On the farm that I grew up on, we actually recovered several chunks of wartime cannon balls. One of them, was especially interesting, as it was split nearly right down the middle. And the largest intact chunk in our collection. Tho... not cleanly. And the largest intact chunk in our collection. I remember, it was somewhere between the size of a baseball and a softball.

We also dug up a lot of stone arrowheads on that property too. So maybe while it was a wartime ball, it may not have been used against the Brits :pinch:

RoniN: :smile: Yeah, I was backing you up on that, about the barrels being cast. :wink:

Interesting! I thought that the first cannon were like oversized blunderbuss, and they just shoved whatever they could find that would fit into it. Now granted, that did still happen during the civil war.

Interesting note: On the farm that I grew up on, we actually recovered several chunks of wartime cannon balls. One of them, was especially interesting, as it was split nearly right down the middle. And the largest intact chunk in our collection. Tho... not cleanly. And the largest intact chunk in our collection. I remember, it was somewhere between the size of a baseball and a softball.

We also dug up a lot of stone arrowheads on that property too. So maybe while it was a wartime ball, it may not have been used against the Brits :pinch:

That's possible, not sure. It's definitely a "method" used. Shooting a lot of shrapnel at a big group of people does have a devastating effect.

So I can imagine they didn't use cannonballs straight from the very first cannon's. I do know that's true for ships, but those where not THE very first use of cannons.

I'll look it up

edit:

It's hard to tell. The first cannon's where "made in china". Developed parallel or after (they don't know) the "Firelance".

Iron & porcelain shards where definitely used, but so where "pellet wad's" (which are considered as, possibly, the first 'bullets'.) - as these occluded the barrel.

Btw: Balls & shrapnel is not the only thing they shot. Its interesting to see all the different types of "projectiles" they used. (Especially on ships)

Including 2 balls linked with a chain, to take out masts and stuff like that.

Edited by RoNin1971

INteresting! I hadn't known that the first recorded cannon were from China!

I remember one of my teachers telling us (during a lesson about early pirating) that some of the merchant vessels even resorted to firing whatever they had in their stock.

She said "Imagine this: a cloud of forks, spoons, and knives being thrown at you at high speed".

Bola balling! Oh yes, that was definitely a sport in the day. Largely for either making it so that enemy or lootable ships couldnt run away. Or, to capture the ship, then haul it back to port.

And it's even guessed at, that fast enough cannoneers may have even aimed such shot at enemies coming across a plank from the enemy ship.

Myself, I would NOT want ANY part of myself in the path of that chain!

Modern day, they've tried to replicate that, with shotguns. There's even some shot for sale in the open market, with shot connected to each other. Doesn't work worth a drek tho, there's a few vids of it on YT. The connector usually breaks, or drags the shot waaaay off course.

So yeah, it's real interesting that the forefathers could do it, and we can't! :laugh: Tho in their case, maybe it's a weight thing. Modern shotgun pellets aren't very big, or very heavy.

Speaking of big and heavy... that's the thing I always had a problem with, with the vanilla 10mm. That thing's HUGE! WHAT kinda soldier wants to carry a beast like THAT around all day???

OH! On THAT note!!!

Bethesda logic at work.

10mm pistol as a sidearm. For the primary arm, (per fallout 4) soldiers carried the Combat Rifle.

Repeat.

RIFLE.

Firing a pistol caliber round. :dry:

That doesn't include a chambering for the same caliber as their sidearm. :dry: :dry: :dry:

And for further insult to injury, both pistol chamberings use rounds that are SUB-par to 10mm. :wallbash:

INteresting! I hadn't known that the first recorded cannon were from China!

I remember one of my teachers telling us (during a lesson about early pirating) that some of the merchant vessels even resorted to firing whatever they had in their stock.

She said "Imagine this: a cloud of forks, spoons, and knives being thrown at you at high speed".

Bola balling! Oh yes, that was definitely a sport in the day. Largely for either making it so that enemy or lootable ships couldnt run away. Or, to capture the ship, then haul it back to port.

And it's even guessed at, that fast enough cannoneers may have even aimed such shot at enemies coming across a plank from the enemy ship.

Myself, I would NOT want ANY part of myself in the path of that chain!

Modern day, they've tried to replicate that, with shotguns. There's even some shot for sale in the open market, with shot connected to each other. Doesn't work worth a drek tho, there's a few vids of it on YT. The connector usually breaks, or drags the shot waaaay off course.

So yeah, it's real interesting that the forefathers could do it, and we can't! :laugh: Tho in their case, maybe it's a weight thing. Modern shotgun pellets aren't very big, or very heavy.

Speaking of big and heavy... that's the thing I always had a problem with, with the vanilla 10mm. That thing's HUGE! WHAT kinda soldier wants to carry a beast like THAT around all day???

I used 'm (chainlinked cannonballs) almost exclusively during my Total War Empire campaigns, defeating fleet after fleet & capturing all those ships. The challenge being to let non escape :pirate:

As well as "defeating" much larger fleets by outrunning them for 60 minutes :laugh:

Edited by RoNin1971

What really makes 0 sense is having 10mm pistols in your game and ALSO having semi-auto pistols firing revolver calibers in your game - and firing .44 Mag at that. Fallout 1 - Desert Eagle.

Why on earth would anyone adopt 10mm when you can fire .44 Mag from a semi-auto pistol?

i.e. the bigger the better the tighter the sweater. Just use a Desert Eagle and be done with it - it's actually smaller than a 10mm pistol anyway.....

What really makes 0 sense is having 10mm pistols in your game and ALSO having semi-auto pistols firing revolver calibers in your game - and firing .44 Mag at that. Fallout 1 - Desert Eagle.

Why on earth would anyone adopt 10mm when you can fire .44 Mag from a semi-auto pistol?

i.e. the bigger the better the tighter the sweater. Just use a Desert Eagle and be done with it - it's actually smaller than a 10mm pistol anyway.....

Well, the .44 in "real life" is NOT a small pistol. And kicks like a mule. :D Weight may or may not be an issue too. Although, with the right perks, weight simply becomes a non-issue.

The way I see it:

Its a RPG, with level-ups.

You start out with the 10mm pistol.

The idea is that you get better stuff along the way, while you level up & can 'handle' more/heavier stuff.

Non of the weapons are even trying to mimic 'reality', so why complain about it?

The game does lack better weapons for higher levels, and pipeguns etc, quickly become obsolete, for sure. But that's 'part of the game' isn't it?

edit:

Woops sorry. Gun, Pistol ...

I'd say: "This is my pistol & this is my gun" :cool:

Edited by RoNin1971