[WIP] Apocalypse New

EnaiSiaion

But you could probably manage a Master level spell that crated a pocket plane that has safe storage etc

Mighty Magic has two spells like this already but I haven't tried them. I was hoping for something to take that idea even further.

Yes, I can certainly manage that, especially because I did manage it, in Dwemerverse, the mod which no one gave a single s*** about. Good to hear Mighty Magic also has it though.

I give :blush: .

Edited by cliffosx

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I can certainly manage that, especially because I did manage it, in Dwemerverse, the mod which no one gave a single s*** about. Good to hear Mighty Magic also has it though.

I knew about your spell. I didn't mention it because I assumed it was known since we are in your thread. I also haven't tried that spell/staff and was afraid of calling it a "storage spell" in case that was selling the spell short.

Each tree has 2-6-6-6-6 spells.

Currently working on alteration. There is exactly 1 alteration damage spell but you can still kill things with physics (Launch, Slam, etc). It's harder than with destruction though.

A fun new novice spell:

Alarm

Pings you when an enemy approaches, but does not tell you where the enemy is. A newbie version of Detect Life, except it does work on everything and makes you paranoid.

And an apprentice spell:

Loot Magnet

It works now! For 120 seconds, auto-loots everything that dies nearby.

Metamagic

Contingencies are both clunky and imbalanced (the best thing to put into them is always either Grand Healing or Mass Paralysis). They are being removed; the only destruction spells remaining are elemental ones and two novice specials. Instead, the alteration tree has a number of relevant spells with fancy new tech:

Ocato's Recital

For 15 seconds you can cast all the armors, cloaks, buffs and summons you wish. Afterwards, when you enter combat, those spells are automatically cast for no cost. Its main use is to get the annoying resummoning and buffing part over with. Dragonhide is excluded by default but can be included in the MCM.

Spell Sequencer

For 15 seconds you can cast any spell you want. Afterwards, when you cast one of those spells in combat, it automatically equips the next spell in line in the same hand. It's like the amulet in Thunderchild, but for spells.

Spell scaling

Each school can be made to scale with skill level (1%). This is an MCM option that is disabled by default. Also, telekinesis damage increases by 2 per alteration skill level and other schools get better as well; you can turn this off in the MCM.

But you could probably manage a Master level spell that crated a pocket plane that has safe storage etc

Mighty Magic has two spells like this already but I haven't tried them. I was hoping for something to take that idea even further.

I haven't been playing Skyrim for awhile (Sim 3...), but when I came back I noticed you'd released mods which tackle different facets of magic. The Dwemerverse one was probably the one I was most interested in. But, despite having it (and all the others) installed, I haven't actually seen any Dwemerverse things. However, I'm playing a stealth-marksman and haven't used any spells except Clairvoyance and Almalexia's Grace, so even if I had encountered them, I wouldn't be using them. They'll have to wait for my next playthrough (which won't be too long). Speaking of which, are the schematics available as loot in dwemer dungeons or solely through Calcelmo? Is that why I haven't seen them? (Yes, I've seen the bits and pieces in the forge menu... or was it the smelter? Either way...)

Also, the new spells you mentioned in your other post sound really awesome.

Thank you for taking the time to make magic an all-around better experience in Skyrim. I always play magic characters (this is my first ever character that doesn't use magic extensively), so improving magic has a HUGE impact on my game :)

Alarm

Pings you when an enemy approaches, but does not tell you where the enemy is. A newbie version of Detect Life, except it does work on everything and makes you paranoid.

This sounds like a good one. Although its effects are often replicated by Ocato's imperial charge or it will be by Ocato's recital. When all those buffs go off an trigger visual effects its an obvious sign that an enemy is in range.

Loot Magnet

It works now! For 120 seconds, auto-loots everything that dies nearby.

Not sure I want to loot every Iron armor or fur armor I've ever come across. But I suppose some of us play without weight limits and just gather everything ever.

Ocato's Recital

For 15 seconds you can cast all the armors, cloaks, buffs and summons you wish. Afterwards, when you enter combat, those spells are automatically cast for no cost. Its main use is to get the annoying resummoning and buffing part over with. Dragonhide is excluded by default but can be included in the MCM.

Spell Sequencer

For 15 seconds you can cast any spell you want. Afterwards, when you cast one of those spells in combat, it automatically equips the next spell in line in the same hand. It's like the amulet in Thunderchild, but for spells.

How do these two work in concert, can Ocato's recital trigger one of the spells in the sequencer? Then equip the "next" one.

Would actually be nifty to have it switch to a favored spell you start combats using, like fire to reduce armor. Is it possible for the sequence to include a weapon at the end?

I doubt I'll have anything super constructive in terms of specific spell mechanics as I think you covered 99% of any possible spell effect you could with the original. It is nice to see them being even further refined though and I cannot wait to see what you put together.

That being said my only real suggestions would come from more of a thematic component. I like themes and I think that how a spell looks when it's implemented can be just as important as what the actual effect it.

A possible theme spell set could be

Earth/Rock -

Spells that could slow enemies by turning a radius into mud or quicksand.

Stone walls or barriers, something similar to Force Wall, would shatter when a certain amount of damage is dealt

Earth Rune, locks an enemy in place so they can't run toward you for a period of time

obviously earth based spells already existed in your original package, So I suppose I would just be proposing an expansion to them ^.^

Dwemerverse is one of the better magic mods on nexus, seriously underrated.

I hope you aren't limiting your creativity, expressiveness, and the mods ultimate functionality by conforming to overhauls. I'm all for compatibility but not compromise.

Unless I am mistaken in order to make his mods cross compatible he uses an external modifier for scaling which is variable, so I can't see it compromising anything.

Edited by falloutreign

Probably the biggest feedback I can give you is this.

You're an amazing mod author, creative genius, and insane script wizard. BALANCE is was seperates Apocalypse from other magic mods. Don't get me wrong, Apocalypse isn't balanced....but it's a heck of a lot closer than any other spell package.

When you're adding or changing new spells please keep an eye on the balance and interaction of the spells. Does it trivialize encounters in Skyrim? I remember a long, long time ago when Apocalypse was new, I used Talon Strike on a Dragon in the distance and 1-shot him. After that, I felt I couldn't use the spell anymore. Sure, I solved my balance problem by not using the spell....but the better solution is allowing us to take advantage of your awesomeness while still retaining something approaching a vanilla difficulty (which we can then adjust with mods or difficulty sliders)

Spells that throw multiple (or even 1) actors up in the air and leave them vulnerable to everything else you could want to throw at them are prime examples of overpowered spell mechanics.

Keep being awesome!