[WIP] Apocalypse New

EnaiSiaion

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I hope to release ApocNew and the SkyRe and Requiem patches at the same time.

2. Nothing much, just overlap. Three spells (Mark and Recall, Teleport and Featherfall) are duplicated. I took the liberty of removing his spells because his mark spell has no visuals and breaks on cell reset and his teleport spell uses an outdated implementation. It's okay, they were in the wrong levelled lists anyway.

Release this Friday! :smile:

Edited by EnaiSiaion

Fapfapfapfapfapfapfap!

I've been putting off playing a proper magic user other than just pissing about since you announced that you were working on this project. I'll finally be able to play! ^_^

In all seriousness though; this mod, your work is exactly how the vanilla Skyrim spellcasting should have been. The developers at Bethesda could learn a thing or two from you.

There's a recent influx of people whining that "Apocalypse CTDs" on the Apoc page. I don't even think you can make the game CTD on purpose, but having too many mods will certainly do it. Anyway, this is going to affect ApocNew for sure because the first thing anyone does is read the comments and if "the mod crashes", skip it.

I think I'm done with big mods after this because there's too much risk of 2 random guys with toasters complaining and ruining everything.

Honestly, I just don't know...

It appears that they don't take any advice towards fixing their games either.

Do they not realise that a mod doesn't get 8000+ endorsements if it's broken?

Also, since when does Panacea not work? I mean that's just clutching at straws...

There's always going to be people out there that don't understand modding or how your mods in particular work. You've put a lot of work into some clever mods, and it's a shame that people got you down and you're giving it up. I also don't understand how mods work, but I thank you for your work and look forward to trying your newest out.

I try not to run more than 40 at once, and to date the only mods that I've had a lot of trouble with are invariably mods that thousands of people are having trouble with, and whose authors and supporters assert that it's anything and everything other than their mod. It's a telltale sign that a mod is unstable, and only morbid curiosity leads me to try them out for myself. :tongue:

There's a script that runs once every 8 seconds (and uses RegisterForSingleUpdate() so it doesn't stack with itself) and apparently this is too much for this guy's hamster PC and the other guy's hamster PC. As a result, and because neither person wants to listen to reason, the front page of the comments thread is full of complaints. This is not helping my download rate.

First impressions are incredibly important. When you release a new mod and two people immediately claim that it crashes and ruins their saves, the mod is sunk. Because of this, developing a big mod is Russian roulette - you just might get a couple of belligerent noobs on day one, just like you're doomed on the Steam Workshop if the first three people rate your mod 1/5. This is fine if you're releasing tons of little mods, but not when you spend six months on a huge mod release.

Do they not realise that a mod doesn't get 8000+ endorsements if it's broken?

To be honest, endorsements isn't a good indication of good/safe to use mods either. If you look closely at top-files of all times, most mods rolled around CK release and even earlier, i.e. they got huge number of endorsements mostly because of HYPE HYPE HYPE train. There are things like Jaysus Swords which, like every pre-CK mod, slowly kills your saves. Or Better Females by Bella, which got alot of endorsements because it was the first face texture mod. WARZONES causes save bloat, Midas Magic isn't compatible with latest version of Skyrim, Crimson Tide is a CTDfest, Better Sorting is pre-CK mod, DUEL was a big placebo until latest versions. Good thing most of top-100 mods are frequently updated, but aforementioned examples are perfect noobtraps and endorsements doesn't help it either.

That's said, I don't know why EnaiSiaion expecting the same number of HYPE endorsements as before, considering Skyrim is practically ded game, even Bethesda itself couldn't milk 10 more horse armour DLCs out of it.