How to install Mods for Fallout 3

was this helpful   

197 members have voted

1. 1. was this helpful at all???

• Yes !!!! thankyou
    • No....nothing i try works......
    • alittle bit
    • i`m just clicking this because i dont know what i`m doing ???

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these mods are a joke because none of them work(nothing works).

is there some point to this ?! ( it`s you who can`t get the mods working most people can with a little help ) :wallbash:

well the best patches are 1.6 amnd 1.7, and the fake patches mess the game around to much they say they fix errors

but i think they make the game crash more (IE) fallout 3 unstable but over time everthing will get better as the moders

release new version.....

i have all the DLC and the Official 1.7 and about 50+ mods

i hardly crash with the Official 1.7 but at times fallout 3 has ramdom crashes. :wallbash:

beth still needs to do more patches , more than likely they will come out in Oct just before the falout 3 GOTY version

comes out, there is no tips for patches some people still use version 1.1 with the DLC work arounds.

unnecessary codec packs stop fallout from running you have to stop them from running when you are

playing also making the pagefile 0mb may help also (untested by me)

update everthing Windows , sound card , 3D card ect.

clean your pc out, remove old program you don`t use no more also clean your registry

if you game is crashing alot search the nexus site before posting, and if you have to post give us alot of

information, the more the better, pictures and videos help to :)

ok so i installed fallout 3 to computer local disk (C:) Fallout 3, ok.

So then I downloaded and installed archiveinvalidation invalidation to fallout 3, yet when i click to run it, it tells me that it cannot find fallout.ini, please select the fallout.ini located in your my documents folder. i clicked ok and all my options are data fallout_default wich i am pretty sure that is it, and then high low medium and veryhigh, none of them work, obviously, but the fallout_default should have worked im guessing, and according to my documents i dont have a fallout ini, so what is goin on, i followed you instructions and i cant proceed to find my fallout ini for it to continue, please help, i might just switch back to program files if it wont work on here.

Thanx

you have to install FOMM in the fallout 3 folder, also you need to install fose to the same place

Fose here >>>> http://fose.silverlock.org/

one other thing start fallout 3 without fomm for the first time this will make a fallout.ini file for you in the right place

you have to install FOMM in the fallout 3 folder, also you need to install fose to the same place

Fose here >>>> http://fose.silverlock.org/

one other thing start fallout 3 without fomm for the first time this will make a fallout.ini file for you in the right place

ok ill try the third thing you said first, maybe thats why

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh, I've got to be slow or over complicating this somehow.

(Or I'm just bad with computers.)

Anyway, so I've got archive invalidation and the Fallout Mod Manager running fine. This is something of an accomplishment for me, at this point. However, using the other mods is... looking kind of impossible for me.

So, I'm confused. Every time I try to put another mod pack inside the data folder, it says that it will need to overwrite the original Meshes or textures file. This results in lots of big red exclamation points in game.

I know I'm getting something wrong, but I don't know what. Please help?

***EDIT***

Okay, doing a bit of digging, it seems like I should get a ~Merge Folder~ option when I try to move my files. Instead, it just says that it needs to overwrite them. Is there a reason for this? (By the way, Im using windows XP.)

**Edit Edit**

Aaaand major fail for me. Just got it figured out. Thanks anyway!

I've been reading through all these how to install mods articles and still haven't found a direct solution for my problem, so I thought I'd ask. Since I have Fallout installed in my Program Files, I cannot transfer files to the data folder without Administrator priviledges which I don't have :mad: . With Oblivion, I was able to download the zip files for mods into the data folder but in order to access them I would click the 'Compatibility Files' button near the top of the folder. I would place all the esp. files and what not there and was able to load them regardless, however this is not the case with Fallout. The files are there but the esp.'s fail to show up in the data files, I attempted to copy and paste the files directly into the data folder with temporary admin priviledges but once loaded it seemed that all the mods had texture errors, so that did not satisy me. I understand this is a lot to read but I really hope that you or anyone who may read this can give me an idea as to what I need to do to use mods for Fallout :wallbash:

I've been reading through all these how to install mods articles and still haven't found a direct solution for my problem, so I thought I'd ask. Since I have Fallout installed in my Program Files, I cannot transfer files to the data folder without Administrator priviledges which I don't have :mad: . With Oblivion, I was able to download the zip files for mods into the data folder but in order to access them I would click the 'Compatibility Files' button near the top of the folder. I would place all the esp. files and what not there and was able to load them regardless, however this is not the case with Fallout. The files are there but the esp.'s fail to show up in the data files, I attempted to copy and paste the files directly into the data folder with temporary admin priviledges but once loaded it seemed that all the mods had texture errors, so that did not satisy me. I understand this is a lot to read but I really hope that you or anyone who may read this can give me an idea as to what I need to do to use mods for Fallout :wallbash:

You must have ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated

Without it custom textures Won't work...