Thoughts on Fallout Texture Mods

Moksha8088

The only things that don't make sense to me in this game:

1) Ground level trash all over the place in an inhabited location (aka Diamond City).

2) People using rusty weapons.

Beyond that everything is fair game.

Pitted (but cleaned) weapons are one thing, but the whole "rusty look"?

And let us not forget the power armor. Dull and all scratched and worn, no matter how many fresh coats of paint you put on it.

Or the animations of folks sweeping the floor. When there's trash lined all the way down the side of the wall to the corner of the room.

And that vanilla stuff isn't salvageable, scrapable, or removable. Ur STUCK with it! (Mods :D )

I like the worn out look, but I can't deal with the idea that a post-apocalyptic society has lost the ability to line two boards up next to each other and push them as tight as possible before nailing them in. Why does every design consist of randomly oriented boards nailed haphazardly with huge gaps between them?

I think I went a bit too deep in on this one. I got to thinking about... why isn't there gangs of scavers that go into the downtown areas where there are many more "more intact" buildings, and start selling off the decent building materials for a premium?

Along with

And where do the gunners find all that good steel for all those barricades they put up???

But yeah. I mean, just cuz the world ended, doesn't mean everybody wants to live in a place that looks like it was put together by a 10 year old building their first treehouse.

1) Ground level trash all over the place in an inhabited location (aka Diamond City).

Those are amongst the least problematic.

Remove the 'garbageman' from ant city and they will look like that in no time.

& even today's 2nd army in the world Ukraine uses rusty weapons.

Not as unrealistic as dead fauna, irradiated water, rad storms & (dirty) people (still) living in makeshift huts after 210 years, to just name a few.

When it comes to textures: I suspect (hope) there will be a bunch of new stuff coming with the announced update. Maybe some changes (new options) for the engine too. I would call it mandatory for a 'next gen. update', but I'm not Bethesda.

The only people who use rusty weapons are the very people you don't want using a weapon - because you know they won't take care of it.

Rusty weapons only make sense when you first find one. Once you'd found it you shouldn't be caught dead firing it in a rusty state.

Playing the entire game with the same rusty weapon is literally an insult to the player base.

I'll make an exception, you found a rusty Colt SAA - you keep it rusty, it's worth more rusty (and you wouldn't dare fire it) than it is if you cleaned it...... That said, that weapon is useless to you in a firefight......

Edited by fraquar

Those are amongst the least problematic.

Remove the 'garbageman' from ant city and they will look like that in no time.

& even today's 2nd army in the world Ukraine uses rusty weapons.

Not as unrealistic as dead fauna, irradiated water, rad storms & (dirty) people (still) living in makeshift huts after 210 years, to just name a few.

When it comes to textures: I suspect (hope) there will be a bunch of new stuff coming with the announced update. Maybe some changes (new options) for the engine too. I would call it mandatory for a 'next gen. update', but I'm not Bethesda.

The only people who use rusty weapons are the very people you don't want using a weapon - because you know they won't take care of it.

Rusty weapons only make sense when you first find one. Once you'd found it you shouldn't be caught dead firing it in a rusty state.

Playing the entire game with the same rusty weapon is literally an insult to the player base.

I'll make an exception, you found a rusty Colt SAA - you keep it rusty, it's worth more rusty (and you wouldn't dare fire it) than it is if you cleaned it...... That said, that weapon is useless to you in a firefight......

Makes a decent club....... :)

TBH, I woudn't want to ruin what is left of the wood grip by clobbering someone over the noggin.

One thing has bothered me - why can't modders tie the texture to the upgrade?

Ex. If I have a Rusty Colt SAA, why can't the upgrade to the barrel, or receiver, or grip, etc change the texture to reflect the upgrade?

Everything seems either all worn, all pristine, or all rusty - there is no transition at all in the game.