Enemy Within Discovery Thread

Krazyguy75

So the biggest new thing I'm seeing is the folder structure.

The expansion preserves the old XCom-Enemy-Unknown folder name. In this folder are all of the same stuff from Enemy Unknown, including:

• xcomgame.exe in the binaries/win32 folder
  • XComGame folder still contains CookedPCConsole folder with upks, Movies folder, Localization folder and Config folder
  • The original two DLC for Enemy Unknown are still present in the XComGame/DLC folder

The EU patch is getting applied here, as there is a new version.txt for the original EU files:

Date: Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:30 PM

Changelist: 382855

For reference the last PC patch for EU was :

Date: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:47 PM

Changelist: 356266

----------------------------

Now, Enemy Within is installed in the XEW folder within the root XCom-Enemy-Unknown folder.

Here is where things get interesting.

EDIT : Forgot to add that EW has its own version ID:

Date: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:07 PM

Changelist: 394142

The XEW folder has a structure that is very similar to the XCom-Enemy-Unknown parent folder. For example it has a binaries/win32 folder containing an XComEW.exe file.

The XEW folder contains its own XComGame folder with its own Config, CookedPCConsole, Localization and Movies subfolders.

This XEW/XComGame/CookedPCConsole has separate copies of such core assets as XComGame.upk and XComStrategyGame.upk. Every required upk for EW appears to be duplicated here -- effectively this is a separate game.

However, to prevent duplicating movie files, those movie files re-used from EU appear to have small .txt files that are used to reference the movie file in the root XCom-Enemy-Unknown folder.

For example the CIN_TP01_1stUFOShotDown_LOC.txt file contains:

2000 10000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_01
10500 14000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_02
14250 19000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_03
19900 22000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_04
22400 25000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_05
25300 27000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_06
32500 34000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_07
34900 39000 TP01_1stUFOShotDown_08

This prevents the ~6GB of movie files in EU from having to be duplicated for EW. However EW does contain ~1.25 GB of new movies.

Otherwise it looks like the XEW folder is structurally an update clone of the original XCOM:EU game.

When launching XCOM from steam there is a new small launch screen (prior even to any of the opening ad videos) to allow selection of EU or EW. Basically this is going to launch one of the two games.

----------------

In theory this could be a really nice way to set up a mod, if the data from XEW could be cloned to a new subfolder (e.g. Long War), then all of the upk / localization files patched in the new Long War folder. The trick will be getting the initial launcher to recognize additional launch options beyond the EU and EW ones.

Edited by Amineri

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the vanilla ini within the exe also changed in the same way as the EW one? Looks more mod friendly in some ways for sure. Lets hope that the more sophisticated mods like extended perk tree arent made impossible by this change.

The XCOM:EU DGC.ini file appears unchanged from before. No new formatting or new variables defined.

At first glance it appears that EU has been minimally touched. Some movie files were updated/added (so that EW could reference them in the EU folder I guess?), and probably a few bug fixes like teleporting and such were ported over, but it looks like all the significant development changes will be confined to the XEW folder.

The new EW "pre-start launcher" appears to be the XComLauncher.exe file in the /XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XEW/Binaries/Win32 folder.

Steam appears to launch this executable, and this executable then launches either:

/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/Binaries/Win32/XComGame.exe -- launches Enemy Unknown

/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XEW/Binaries/Win32/XComEW.exe -- launches Enemy Within

Modifying the XCOM EW executable, by changing the following:

<Patch>
    <!-- Read DefaultGameCore.ini from Config Folder  -->
    <Find>   25 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 49 00 6e 00 69 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 73 00 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 00 00 00 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 58 00 43 00 </Find>
    <Replace>25 00 64 00 00 00 00 00 49 00 6e 00 69 00 56 00 65 00 72 00 73 00 69 00 6f 00 6e 00 00 00 00 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 2e 00 2e 00 5c 00 57 00 43 00 </Replace>
  </Patch>

Still works, and allows you to modify the XEW\XCOMGame\Config\DefaultGameCore.ini and have the changes show up without needing modpatcher.

Edited by UberJumper

Just wanted to mention that Resource Hacker works fine. The info is still in the same place, far as I can tell (although good god, they finally cleaned up the formatting, it's MUCH easier to read!). Here's to hoping all of the .upk info isn't to hard to find.

Also, the EW folder is within the EU folder, in a new folder called XEW. The layout of the files within XEW are the same as the layout in EU: everything seems to be in the same place, just in the new folder.

After poking through the DGC within the EW exe, I discovered that down at the bottom, there is a section with the perk trees listed. I'm actually betting that a lot of the stuff that used to be within the .upks is now listed in here, for easier editing. Here's the info from the DGC: (Warning, quite big!)

Not having much luck with Resource Hacker anymore. I just wanted to do my usual difficulty changes (removing aim and crit boni) and it crashes the .exe immediately with a 0x0 error.

Edited by Hammerstein2k11

Hmmm one potentially big change I just noticed. When using ResourceHacker to examine the embedded config data I noticed that the RCData/1020 field doesn't just contain XGTacticalGameCore config variables.

However, the new DefaultGameCore.ini config file in the XEW/XComGame/Config/ folder is a mirror of what is embedded in the RCData/1020 location.

However the config variables for the following XComGame.upk classes can now apparently all be in this one file/resource:

• [XComGame.XGTacticalGameCore]
  • [XComGame.XComPrecomputedPath]
  • [XComGame.XGAction_FireCustom_Flamethrower]
  • [XComGame.XGAction_FireCustom_Barrage]
  • [XComGame.XGAbility_Electropulse]
  • [XComGame.XGUnitNativeBase]
  • [XComGame.XComPerkManager]