Sneaky Sneaky Steam

strawbqwerty

Went to start my game and as usual I start steam before I launch the game. I was a bit quick of the mark starting the game and steam was still in the process of starting and bam it updated my game. I checked my settings on steam and it clearly states not to install update unless I launch through steam and never allow back ground updates. They really want to help you any way they can whether you want the help or not.

If you play ANYTHING on Steam that is moddable - back you $4!t up - all of it. Game directory, Registry Keys, USER directory......

I have one moddable game left on Steam platform from Bethesda - Fallout 4. The rest have been migrated to GOG as they are older games.

Witcher 3.

Dragon Age: Origins.

ES: III, IV and V.

As much as I applaud Steam for making the serious inroads to get games working on Linux, that level of covert updating has burnt this bridge to the ground.

Edited by fraquar

There was a easy enough fix. Just not what I had anticipated having to do. I just rolled back the game with the available app and all was good again. I just have to remember to start Steam some time before I run the game.

@strawbqwerty: You do realize that each time the Steam Client receives an update, all user settings are reverted back to their defaults - right? Steam Client updates are inevitable. Anytime your system is rebooted, the Steam Client checks for any updates & applies the update if one is available. This in turn will apply any pending game updates in the queue. This is why setting "Only update this game when I launch it" is not enough to prevent those pesky stealth updates. Use my guide to perma-block any future Bethesda updates from breaking your modded Skyrim SE setup:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/11022483-how-to-permanently-block-ae-from-ever-deploying-onto-ones-system

ff7legend

Not true. My Steam updated this week and my Skyrim is still happily sitting there awaiting my permission to update. The resetting of your preferences was a bug from literally years ago.

strawbqwerty already said what happened. They started the game before Steam had fully started. That always causes paused games to update.

At the core of the issue though is this shouldn't even be a thing for Single Player games (stealth updating).

Forced compliance is only needed in Multi Player games.

It's why I've moved every game I could off Steam. I don't need an "Online" service for a Single Player game.....

We do as @anjenthedog, and Steam has not tried to update our Skyrim SE at all.

We also recently purchased a couple of titles really on-sale at Steam, downloaded them, and our Skyrim SE was untouched. (10 bucks for two historic highly ranked games!)

We worried about unauthorized Steam updating of our existing games, but,

Whew!

Hope this helps or reinforces??

Edited by Gorgopis