3D Realms closes down

JimboUK

I think I found my new sig.

June 15, 1998: A few days following the Duke Nukem Forever trailer debut, 3D Realms drops the Quake II engine and licenses then-Epic MegaGames' Unreal engine. "We don't feel there will be a significant development delay," says Duke co-creator George Broussard.

This one I found on Twitter does it a bit more justice.

http://duke.a-13.net/

*scroll down for some fun facts*

Too bad really.

3D Realms dead! I remember getting a few of those games back in the day. To bad really. There goes another company that bites the dust. :(

oh wtf...... :wallbash: :( I was really looking forward to the new Duke game....but I've been looking forward to it for 13 years. Every year was "yep, this is the year come on"

ah well, I still play Duke Nukem 3D via LAN with friends once in awhile lol

Ah, maybe it was a blessing in disguise. They might hand over the IP to somebody more competent and then we might still see the game in all it's glory, or perhaps it's failings if it turns out that it sucks. Hehe, imagine that, we wait for a game for 13 years, just for it to be a disappointment. I'd find that hilarious.

I just had a feeling, from the years following the announcement of Forever, that it was fated to an ill end. Seems like I was right. However, perhaps Forever may still be released. There's been progress on it, and if another company takes control of it and polishes it up a bit, it could happen.

With any luck this'll see the light of day now, I just hope 3D realms or their creditors sell it to a company that will do a decent job of finishing it.

This is disappointing. I was really looking foward to the new Duke Nukem game. After having played Duke 3d and Manhattan, I felt that this game could really have been a great end to the series...

As has been said though, lets hope a competent producer takes over the production of the game now. :whistling:

Archived