NMM 0.50.0.0a now available for brave alpha testers

Dark0ne

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

"That should be fine for unscripted mods but any scripted mods you have will have to be reinstalled again (i.e. go through all the scripted installers as they pop up and choose all the available settings again). NMM will prompt you for each scripted mod you have. Everyone is going to have to do this anyway once we finalise this release and send it to the masses so this isn’t a special step for the alpha alone ergo the choice is really whether you want to do it now or do it later (or never update NMM again)."

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with v0.45.7 then, as there is no way I'm going to risk that on Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3, and Fallout NV, each of which I have about 200 mods installed (Not including texture mods)!

I'm struggling with this. I can't get it to install mods that contain loose files (body mods, or clothing replacer mods, for example). It says it has installed the mod, the right folders appear in Skyrim\data but they are empty and the symlinks to the files themselves don't get created.

There may be a clue - when I try to install a mod that contains only loose files and no plugins, instead of the green tick I get the red crossed out circle beside its name.

I've tried uninstalling 0.50 and re-installing it, I've tried deleting the mods and reloading them from backups but it makes no difference.

What am I doing wrong?

(edit) Doh! You have to set NMM to run as adminstrator (Win 8.1) Without that, it seems to be able to copy plugin files into data and create subfolders but not to create symlinks to the loose files.

Edited by OldMansBeard

Dark0ne said: "That should be fine for unscripted mods but any scripted mods you have will have to be reinstalled again (i.e. go through all the scripted installers as they pop up and choose all the available settings again). NMM will prompt you for each scripted mod you have. Everyone is going to have to do this anyway once we finalise this release and send it to the masses "

I have a question about. For some work I have done I have looked at the installog.xml log of NMM 0.4.x. Afaik that file contains the END result of files installed by NMM, whether installed by unscripted mods or mods which have an installer". I assume the convertor of NMM 0.5.0 reads that file and other files where NMM config is stored to convert everything to symlinks. I can't figure out (but I've probably something) why with NMM 0.5.0 the mods with a scripted installer should be run again. This seems suboptimal. This is NOT a complaint but I would like to understand as a techie why that step is needed.

In response to post #10119559.

Cause NMM doesn't know where in a scripted file archive the currently installed file was taken (eg. if mods have different optional models for bigger things that all share the same name, or maybe they don't even have the correct name and are renamed by the installer)