I/O Error 21 when opening Vortex

skyrimdudie

I used Vortex on windows 10 on the same harddrive that i use now. But after updating to windows 11 and i reinstalled, this happened. So when i try to open Vortex it gives me a message. The message is attached to the post.

It suggests that there is a fault on my harddrive or there is some software blocking this.

I had my harddrive on windows 10 and now when i reinstalled vortex after updating to windows 11, i get this message every time. When i try to install a new mod it won't go into the skyrim folder. So this error makes modding using vortex for me impossible. The fault is not with the harddrive since i have used it on windows 10. And i can run all the games no problem on that drive.

Does anybody know what i can do to fix this? Before someone says "buy a real copy" this is a real copy. It just can't read the location properly it seems.

Please help if you know :smile:

Ok, the error is talking about K drive, which I assume is NOT your boot drive? Is that installed IN your computer? Or is it an external drive, plugged into a USB port? (this should really be in the Vortex forums as well....)

It is indeed not my boot drive. The drive in in my pc tho, i have a D and an E drive next to my main drive which is a C drive.

also make sure that the drive isn't under any kind of protections.

Either by windows, or by encryption, password lock, or that it's not set to read only.

also make sure that vortex isn't being hindered by antivirus, or the built in windows security.

The error says you may have a virus.

Indeed.

Windows 11.

(OK that's not helpful. But I couldn't let that shot slip by)