Head Clipping Through Hair

TheConquerorC

So have this problem. I have like most downloaded mods that add more hair styles to the game. Only issue is they do not fit. As in like the head clips through the hair or the hair is not positioned correctly. Leading to stuff like "bald" patches which is just the head clipping through the hair. Or like the hair being positioned wrong so it clips into the forehead. This is rather annoying and I am only using it on vanilla races which are supposed to be compatible with this stuff. I am asking if there is anyway to fix this in the geck or anyone knows any tips to fix it?

This is usually caused by the hairs not including egm and tri files. The hairs won't deform with the head that you create. You can fix the hairs to fit your particular head by changing the scale, stretching the hair in one direction or another, or translating (sliding) the hair up or over. All of this can be done in nifskope.

Due to differences between FO3 and FNV the hair will likely end up being rotated by 90 degrees. I'm using an older version of nifskope. I don't know if this is fixed in a newer version or not. You can just rotate the hair mesh by 90 degrees so that it is oriented properly in-game.

Hair nifs have two meshes, one called "HAT" and one called "NOHAT". As the names imply, which one is displayed on your character depends on whether or not they are wearing a hat. Usually, hair meshes that you download only have the modified hair in the NOHAT mesh, and have a very short standard hair mesh for the HAT mesh. So NOHAT is the one you want to modify.

This is usually caused by the hairs not including egm and tri files. The hairs won't deform with the head that you create. You can fix the hairs to fit your particular head by changing the scale, stretching the hair in one direction or another, or translating (sliding) the hair up or over. All of this can be done in nifskope.

Thanks I'll try this. I have nif but never really messed with it. Will see how it goes.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Here are some pics for context. In nif skope it looks fine but looking at Trudy (who I was using as a test) her hair seems fine until you see the bald spot on her head. It used to be much worse until I messed with the shape of her head. This is on the more moderate scale. Some heads are worse. Not sure how to fix this in nif as nif is showing it as fine but in game its not.

In the nif the hair is referenced to the default head, with no morphing. When you apply Trudy's head morph, her head changes to the shape in the GECK, but the hair doesn't follow the changes. It's not a bald spot, it's her head clipping through the hair mesh. You are seeing her head, but the hair is still there, just underneath.

If you want to use this hair on Trudy and the back of her head is clipping through the hair, then the hair needs to be made wider front-to-back. I thought you could scale meshes in nifskope in the X, Y, or Z direction, but I guess I'm remembering it wrong. You can only scale the entire mesh. Click on the hair, click on transform, and adjust the scale to something like 1.1 and see how that works.

I've had to do this often and it can be a real pain, that looks like it could be scaled up a tiny bit and raised a bit, make the changes in Nifscope and the refresh the preview in the GECK, it's tedious because X, Y and Z in Nifscope don't always correspond to the same coordinates in game, to raise the hair it's the Z value that should be increased but often that will move the hair sideways or forward and back, it's all trial and error and makes you want rip your own hair out.

In the nif the hair is referenced to the default head, with no morphing. When you apply Trudy's head morph, her head changes to the shape in the GECK, but the hair doesn't follow the changes. It's not a bald spot, it's her head clipping through the hair mesh. You are seeing her head, but the hair is still there, just underneath.

If you want to use this hair on Trudy and the back of her head is clipping through the hair, then the hair needs to be made wider front-to-back. I thought you could scale meshes in nifskope in the X, Y, or Z direction, but I guess I'm remembering it wrong. You can only scale the entire mesh. Click on the hair, click on transform, and adjust the scale to something like 1.1 and see how that works.

I've had to do this often and it can be a real pain, that looks like it could be scaled up a tiny bit and raised a bit, make the changes in Nifscope and the refresh the preview in the GECK, it's tedious because X, Y and Z in Nifscope don't always correspond to the same coordinates in game, to raise the hair it's the Z value that should be increased but often that will move the hair sideways or forward and back, it's all trial and error and makes you want rip your own hair out.

Thank you both, I'll try this and see how it goes. Wish me luck.