Day 1 - HORRIBLE User Experience

drewbowl2016

I am typically very patient, however, after nearly 3-4 hours of trying to download a single mod, I have given up.

The first issue was confirmation emails not showing up. I checked my spam folders, looked online, and the only tips given by moderators was to "wait." Yeah, really helpful.

After making many emails under different clients I was finally able to make an account. Once that was done, I tried to download NMM. It got corrupted every time, and once again, past searches resulted in mods telling people to do exactly what had not been working.

I had to burn it on a CD from another source and put it on my computer for the actual installer to work. Once that was done, I spent about an hour trying over and over again to download a single mod, when it would keep dropping and saying "Incomplete" (as you can guess, no answers or helpful pieces of information were given by the mods).

So, day 1 has been a disaster and nowhere have I seen any solutions, just threads from 2008-2010 saying 'It'll get fixed eventually.'

If anyone here has any solutions to getting NMM working (not dropping every download I try to download) I am open to it, but honestly, this makes me never want to visit this site again, which is a shame considering I bought the damn game in the first place specifically to have the option to mod it.

EDIT: DIdn't mean for this to sound as awful as it did--I wrote it exasperated and frustrated, I am SO CLOSE now, it seems to be an issue only a few people have, so please help me get through this. I am only posting this because I want to use Nexus--I know it's a great site, which is why I got so annoyed when everything was failing on me at once.

Edited by drewbowl2016

Dude, calm down, and check your web connection to see if you are losing your connection mid download. In personal experience, this is the cause of most corrupted files and incomplete downloads.

Also, the mods are right when they tell you to be patient with the technical systems. This site gets slammed on weekends, especial around times when people are going to be off work/out of school.

I am typically very patient, however, after nearly 3-4 hours of trying to download a single mod, I have given up.

The first issue was confirmation emails not showing up. I checked my spam folders, looked online, and the only tips given by moderators was to "wait." Yeah, really helpful.

After making many emails under different clients I was finally able to make an account. Once that was done, I tried to download NMM. It got corrupted every time, and once again, past searches resulted in mods telling people to do exactly what had not been working.

I had to burn it on a CD from another source and put it on my computer for the actual installer to work. Once that was done, I spent about an hour trying over and over again to download a single mod, when it would keep dropping and saying "Incomplete" (as you can guess, no answers or helpful pieces of information were given by the mods).

So, day 1 has been a disaster and nowhere have I seen any solutions, just threads from 2008-2010 saying 'It'll get fixed eventually.'

If anyone here has any solutions to getting NMM working (not dropping every download I try to download) I am open to it, but honestly, this makes me never want to visit this site again, which is a shame considering I bought the damn game in the first place specifically to have the option to mod it.

You should ask for your money back.

Meh. You own the game and have it installed properly? Then you can mod it - you don't have to have Nexus or NMM for that. While you're fighting to learn the merits of patience you could be: making your own mods, downloading mods from someplace else, researching the issues you're likely to run into with installing mods or - this last one is a kicker - playing the game :blink:

Dude, calm down, and check your web connection to see if you are losing your connection mid download. In personal experience, this is the cause of most corrupted files and incomplete downloads.

Also, the mods are right when they tell you to be patient with the technical systems. This site gets slammed on weekends, especial around times when people are going to be off work/out of school.

As I said, this has taken me hours due to the programs not working. My connection has been fine, but when the only solution to every problem is "wait," that doesn't really help me. All I want to know is if there is an actual solution.

Meh. You own the game and have it installed properly? Then you can mod it - you don't have to have Nexus or NMM for that. While you're fighting to learn the merits of patience you could be: making your own mods, downloading mods from someplace else, researching the issues you're likely to run into with installing mods or - this last one is a kicker - playing the game :blink:

However, Nexus is the hub for all of these mods, and I cannot download a single one. Again, 3-4 hours is beyond patience when literally not a single service on this site has worked the first time and no solutions are present anywhere. I have tried to download mods from other sources, but there is no way to easily manage them which is supposed to be one of the advantages of using Nexus, if I am not mistaken. Lastly, there are various mods that must be implemented prior to starting a new game, hence my hesitation, however I have tested it for a little bit anyways.

Overall, I just wanted an easier experience. It's frustrating buying a game, then trying to figure out over the course of a few hours why a problem that has apparently happened since 2008 is still ongoing with no actual solutions prohibiting me from being able to just do what I intended. You all clearly don't have this problem, so saying stuff like "keep waiting" and "calm down" is just as unhelpful as every other junk thread from the past 5 years.

So, the thing you must ask yourself is, what's different between your computer and 99.997% of the other users of the nexus and NMM?

When you figure that out, maybe you can post a helpful thread for that 0.003% to read when they have the same problems as you.

Depends on which game you're talking about but there are alternate download sites for all the TES games as well as alternate mod managers. Same goes for Fallout and NWN last I checked.

And no, 3-4 hours isn't a lot of time to be patient. You'll figure it out eventually but - when modding your game it can take days to figure some things out. A few hours is nothing :rolleyes:

So, the thing you must ask yourself is, what's different between your computer and 99.997% of the other users of the nexus and NMM?

When you figure that out, maybe you can post a helpful thread for that 0.003% to read when they have the same problems as you.

First of all, it's a much larger percent if every time I get an error, Google is filled with results on this site dating from 2008 to last August all asking the same questions with no answers. THIS is why I'm so frustrated.

Depends on which game you're talking about but there are alternate download sites for all the TES games as well as alternate mod managers. Same goes for Fallout and NWN last I checked.

And no, 3-4 hours isn't a lot of time to be patient. You'll figure it out eventually but - when modding your game it can take days to figure some things out. A few hours is nothing :rolleyes:

I understand that 3-4 hours doesn't seem like much, but when I hit a wall and there is no "fix" to a problem that has existed for years, I can only wonder why no answers have been presented. My frustration stems from issues that apparently haven't been resolved in 5 years, and there being no fix on any of the threads.

I don't want to be angry or incite people or start an argument; I just want to know if anyone has a fix for NMM not downloading a single mod.

Are you able to download mods manually? If so, then try adding the downloaded file to NMM and see if that does work:

• Once you've downloaded a mod, start NMM.
  • Click on the "Mods" tab.
  • Click the topmost puzzle-piece on the left (the one that says "Add Mod from file").
  • Navigate to wherever your downloads end up, then double-click the downloaded mod.
  • Now the mod should be added to the NMM so you can install it.

If you can't download mods manually either, try a different browser, check firewall settings, etc.

Edited by BlackRampage

Google is filled with posts from people complaining about things on the Nexus going back to long before 2008. :laugh:

Sorry to hear you're having problems using the sites. Given that there are currently 6.38 MILLION members, and we aren't getting 6.38 million complaints, I'd say Vamyan's estimate is probably pretty accurate. Something about your set-up and/or connection is very different from the overwhelming majority of others.

People, even a lot of people, do have occasional problems. Especially on Skyrim Nexus, which is the most popular site, and especially on Sundays when the Nexus is its busiest. But those usually manifests in 404 (page not found) or 504 (timeout) errors. What you are describing is something that appears unique (at the moment) to you.

Have you tried using a different browser?