What The Fudge is DAR?

mods1985

I hate that I have to ask here and not in the mod's forum buuuut it's locked because people on the internet act like petulant... anyway. What is DAR? Why is it so "important"? The last time I modded Skyrim, DAR didn't exist. It was FNIS and FNIS only. Nemesis also wasn't a thing. Not that I really know WTF that is either. I'm setting up a new load order and I've seen a few Idles and other various animations use it, but the way people were bemoaning on the mod page you'd think Skyrim was unloadable without it. What is this mod doing that has people all in their feelings? How is it different from FNIS? Do I really need it? I actually haven't came across much stuff that requires it. What's the deal?

Imagine one sneak animation if you are wearing heavy armor boots, a different one for light armor boots, another different one if your sneak is above 90, another different one if you are Nightingale.

Conditional animations. FNIS and Nemesis can't do that.

Ahhh I see. Cool. Sounds neat. I'll keep an eye out for that then. I can't really miss it because I've never used it but I get why people are bummed out about it not being updated. Plenty of new mods for me to enjoy though, hell, just playing Skyrim on a better PC will be fun for me. Thanks for explaining it for me.

FNIS/Nemesis are what can be used to embed entirely new animations into the game. I.e. so you can create an .hkx of actor smoking a cigar, and hook it up so command PlayAnimation("SmokeCigar") actually invokes that .hkx. FNIS/Nemesis would need to be run to add the new animation command to the database.

However, if you look at 'Pretty Sit Idles SE' mod, it is just a bunch of .hkx files, designed to replace the vanilla chair sit idle. You have to pick which hkx will get installed via FOMOD. No need to run FNIS cause you are not adding a new animation, you are just replacing an existing one with different .hkx.

DAR can take things further. You can supply a number of files as alternates to the default .hkx, and indicate under which conditions the game should play each alternative.