Purplish armor/ clothing on followers

Warhog67

I'm going to say, correct me if I am wrong but when you give a follower armor or cloths (from mods) and they appear one color of purple, does that mean they are missing texture resource for that? I think it usually happens when you install a armor bodyslide mod?

Hi Warhog :)

Indeed what you are referring to is a texture issue. Purple, in some cases green, or even pink, but yeah.

While I don't play Skyrim, it's not just specific to bodyslide. It can be a mod conflict, improper archiving for the mod, not directing properly to the textures folder, corrupted files, there's quite a few reasons that it can happen.

But yes, you are correct. It's a texture issue.

Afaik, it usually means a misdirected or plain old bad reference in the mesh description, rather than a bad dds (texture) file. Sometimes/often caused by not fitting/building the armor/clothing in Bodyslide before using it in game, and sometimes, more rarely, (presuming all the preliminary fitting building has been done previously), sometimes by some "ad hoc glitch" in-game. (the rare instance where you encounter some creature or person or object with purple where there should be a defined texture wrapping it, whatever the cause).

So if you haven't, and if it comes with a Bodyslide file, fit and build the armor for your intended target body/hands/feet combo.

And make sure it's made for your body type first. No point in fitting BHUNP armor to a CBBE-3BA body or visa versa.

Open outfit in question in Outfit Studio. got through meshes, and check properties of each, textures tab. See that all referenced textures are present. Note that if it uses some of the vanilla textures (especially cubemaps) they might be in one of Skyrim's texture .bsa's

Since normal design procedure is to setup an outfit in outfit studio, and then build meshes in Bodyslide from that, discrepancies between bodyslide and pre-built meshes are VERY rare.

But if you do want to check, go to where the meshes are, and use NifScope to open the .nif files.

In NifScope, expand root NiNode, then under each BSTriShape, expand BSLightingShaderProperty, and check its BSShaderTextureSet.