Changes to soliciting ratings/file of the month votes

Dark0ne

Stewb "Also seems to be stopping anyone asking for votes in their file descriptions too. Should even the system up, not undermine it"

Thats not what I said your a million light years out.

If the site wants to give every mod weather it be new or recently updated maximum exposure you do not pin rating system on it, you publish the updates weekly that way every one of them mods gets maximum exposure.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So,

Should I understand that a decision has been reached on soliciting Votes for File of the Month in the Description Tab?

20th Century Weapons received a moderator edit to it's description entry which removed the vote solicitation, but I've noticed many other file entries still have it.

Is the new system being implemented now?

-ein

Edited by einherjrar

They are being removed when they are reported. We can't check every file thread, there are about 30,000 of them so we are removing them when they are reported. The changes made only will effect new files, not the older ones. These have to be removed manually.

Buddah

The op:

The matter of people requesting others to rate and vote for their files as file of the month has been discussed several times within the staff forums over the years. With the introduction of the files of the month section authors have begun to notice that they can get more people to vote for their files if they ask people to do it, and provide a link to the process, at the top of their file description. Now, this was fine because we made no mention of whether it was allowed or not.

However I've decided to add in a few new checks on file ratings and votes to prevent authors from doing this from now on. Why you ask? Well, because only the people that are asking for votes are getting in to the top 5 of the files of the month section. This isn't a god awful terrible thing, but I'd rather every author had the oppurtunity to get their files in to the top sections without having to solicit votes and ratings from users.

This will be offset in the near future by a new feature that will allow users to better see what files they have and haven't rated and whether they have voted for a file of the month (with some gentle encouragement if they haven't). This functionality will go hand-in-hand with a complete overhaul of the rating system in general, due to be worked on after I've finished my 4th and final year of exams at university. I haven't got £15k in to debt with student loans to throw it all away now!

Definitely agree with this

I ended up adding the vote comment to the EVE mod because most of the other mods had added please not only on their Download page but in Massive Big Letters on the bethesda forum as well.

As far as I'm concerned if a mod is up for mod of the month it should have to do so on it's merits and not because the author has gone out to influence the decision by soliciting votes

Perhaps another way to do it is a blind ballot - you don't see who's in the lead or in the running until the final winner is announced - you can vote for any mod (but only those released in the particular month will count

Edited by Axil

Hehe,

No need to repost the frontpage;

I did read the entire news post (a couple times actually), I merely thought that the subject was still being discussed, or the date of enforcement was still being decided.

I have no problem with the changes to the voting system or solicitation, and I have no real opinion about any other changes to the system;

I had noticed in January or February that many if not all F.o.t.M. were asking for votes, so I took it as an acceptable (if not standard) practice.

This has apparently changed, and I can't say I'm sorry to see it go; I'm not about to voice opposition to it.

I can hope that whatever new system of 'gentle encouragement' towards feedback (rating/voting) will perhaps stand out a bit more than it does currently;

-I didn't notice the vote system for well over a month after uploading my first mod.

-I still occasionally see messages in the comment box of people typing out 'I rate 10', and as often as not it seems they simply didn't see the rate function; I think it's kind of sad that those well intentioned ratings are wasted because the first feedback button they could find wasn't the correct button.

My $0.02 USD

-ein out.

Edited by einherjrar

So in fairness,when we see one we edit them out. Just to keep things fair, use the report button, (Damn here I am asking for more work!) and we will correct them.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, yours was innocent enough. But some are quite blatant and somewhat demanding, "If you want to see this updated on a daily basis, then rate 10's, vote for file of the month, and give me kudo's so I feel appreciated"

Another that really crosses the line is, "I just gave a kudo to everyone that rated my file a 10 or voted for file of the month."

These are a little sad if you ask me.

I can deal with one that ask if you like this mod tell others, if I messed something up let me know so I can try to fix it.

My favorites are those that just put it out there and let the forces that be separate the wheat from the chaff. Like in milking cows, the cream will rise to the top.

Just an observation, not a judgment.

Buddah

Will this purge all requests for Ratings/File of the Month Votes? As in Article Database/Forums e.t.c? File pages are not the only place i see people begging, so i was just wondering about those. Seems people will beg for votes anyway they can. I tend to ignore these, i'm just wondering though. My curiosity would not kill a cat, it would make them extinct :P Edited by Stewb

I think the worst I've seen was one where someone's website link was actually a vote link... so you think you're actually going to go somewhere, and really all it was was a secret vote so you click the link and it votes without even knowing that's what the link was doing...

Premium Members should get to vote on their Admins and Moderators....................................... lol ;D ............very very bad idea in my opinion :smile:

Care to justify your position or are you just sucking up?

Paying for membership is not necessarily buying ownership in that group. When you join a health club you're not then on it's Board of Directors.

Even if that wasn't the case, I'm quite sure there's a description of the privileges you gain when becoming a Premium Member, which doesn't include control over the site's administration. If you don't like the product, don't buy it!

Buddah, can i "reward" KUDOS to the people who take the time to upload their own screenshot of my mods to my mods Images? I like the people can upload their own screenshot of my mod in their game. so i 'reward' them with Kudos. Its OK? i dont want to abuse system ><;