⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Changes to soliciting ratings/file of the month votes

Dark0ne

The matter of people requesting others to rate and vote for their files as file of the month has been discussed several times within the staff forums over the years. With the introduction of the files of the month section authors have begun to notice that they can get more people to vote for their files if they ask people to do it, and provide a link to the process, at the top of their file description. Now, this was fine because we made no mention of whether it was allowed or not.

However I've decided to add in a few new checks on file ratings and votes to prevent authors from doing this from now on. Why you ask? Well, because only the people that are asking for votes are getting in to the top 5 of the files of the month section. This isn't a god awful terrible thing, but I'd rather every author had the oppurtunity to get their files in to the top sections without having to solicit votes and ratings from users.

This will be offset in the near future by a new feature that will allow users to better see what files they have and haven't rated and whether they have voted for a file of the month (with some gentle encouragement if they haven't). This functionality will go hand-in-hand with a complete overhaul of the rating system in general, due to be worked on after I've finished my 4th and final year of exams at university. I haven't got £15k in to debt with student loans to throw it all away now!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got one chance at an education before you start your working life.....you may never get a chance again or it could be decades down the road. We have lived in anticipation of your course completion, and expect things to change quite dramatically after you have partied our buns off for a time after you are done.

I am quite proud of you my friend, as proud as I am of my own children. Hopefully others will be inspired by what you have accomplished in your short life, you created (single handed I might add) one of the greatest sites I have ever had the pleasure to be associated with. And on top of that you will soon complete a 4 year education program at a respected university. No small feat there Robin.

We have known each other for some time now, and I am honored to call you my friend.

Well done sir, well done indeed!

Buddah aka Micky

This functionality will go hand-in-hand with a complete overhaul of the rating system in general,

please please please be thumbs up/thumbs down.

due to be worked on after I've finished my 4th and final year of exams at university.

Best of luck to you in that endeavor. :)

A "1 to 10" rating scale rarely functions as intended. Have you ever looked at ratings of stereo equipment, speakers especially? Nearly everyone rates their new acquisition as a 10 out of 10, five stars, awesome!!!!!!!!, etc. How can a 500.00 pair of speakers perform as well as a 10,000.00 pair. It is subjective and subject to people's jubilation at the time of purchase. So it is with the rating of mods. The "1 to 10" scale rarely results in a good solid bell curve.

Speaking for myself and perhaps a few others, I rank mods 8, 9, or 10. I usually rank a "9" because there is always room for improvement. A ninety percent in university is fabulous, but in the world of mods it's average. So, one would have to embed some sort of virus to get anything lower. That's where comments are so important. I would expect that more seasoned modders could assist the newbie, or help a colleague. But a mere up or down vote, I feel is too limited.

Where I teach, we have fail, pass, pass with honors. The last is reserved for a precious few students that go above and beyond the norm.

Leichendiener

P.S. Congratulations on nearing completion of university. It's hard work but so worth it. Good luck on your finals.

Yup. Your education always comes first, We all understand.

I agree that Thumbs up/down is the way to go. I would also support a 1-3 rating, Great/Average/Poor.

I would also like to thank the Mods for listening and actually making changes that will benefit us all, This is pretty rare in my experience so Thanks again guys.

Yup. Your education always comes first, We all understand.

I agree that Thumbs up/down is the way to go. I would also support a 1-3 rating, Great/Average/Poor.

I would also like to thank the Mods for listening and actually making changes that will benefit us all, This is pretty rare in my experience so Thanks again guys.

Yeah I agree with you. 1-3 rating would be much better than 1-10.

Actually 1-5 rating would also be good

Meh, a numbered rating system is flawed at any range be it 1 to 3 or 1 to 10. No matter what you do to prevent it the ratings always end up as a popularity contest. So why not just go with that.

One possible rating = thumbs up

One and only criteria for rating = Did you like the mod?

Simple, elegant and it eliminates lengthy discussions as to whether a mod deserves the rating and position in the top 100 that it holds. The rating score will only tell us one thing (which is really the only thing it tells us now) how many people liked a mod enough to tell everyone.

As for thumbs down, I really couldn't care less how many people dislike a mod because that number will almost always be higher than the number of those that liked it. The reason for that is people are more apt to express displeasure than give praise, its human nature.

I think that is the last time I shall speak out on this topic. The decision has already been made so all that is left to do is support it.

Good luck next month Dark, though I doubt you'll need it, your pretty fart smeller. ;D jk

Thanks for everything, your the best.

Worm