Changes to soliciting ratings/file of the month votes

Dark0ne

I have changed UV's request for ratings to a request for screenshots in line with the new rules. This seems like a nice alternative.

Looking forward to seeing what Dark0ne has come up with for the new system :)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any info on how the rating system will be :P? There won't be a ratings-wipe will there?

Aas long as 9's don't drag you down so much I'm perfectly happy with it :D

Edited by alexandersig

Judging what occurred when the image share was changed, ratings above a certain point were given a thumbs up, below a certain point they were not counted into the new system. I am assuming (yep we all know what that means), that something with a like result will take place in the file ratings.

There are some safeguards built in, and requirements coded into the new system to preclude the insta rating of mods from the images and description alone. Exactly how and what I am not completely sure of, but these will be explained by Dark0ne when the new system is implemented (this has been an ongoing project and he did all the work on it, taking into considerable consideration the input from the community, yep what has been mentioned has been considered), some you will see and some you won't see. Trying to achieve a balance of fairness of the rating system and functionality that can be implemented effectively into the site's system.

I don't want to steal Dark0ne's thunder, so details are a little sketchy. I have reviewed the concept and it vastly improves the fairness of the rating system, there are some surprises in it.....these will have no impact on most users, those trying to skew the system and inflate ratings may be in for a rather rude awakening when they try.

Off topic a little:

The IPS driver issue problems seems to have been greatly reduced, if not almost completely eliminated. I have only seen one in the past 3 days.

Every file on TesNexus that was lost in the data base corruption on the 14th, that has been reported has been repaired,If you see one use the report this file button so I can try to fix it,, my report tool shows no broken links, but it does not show file pages with no files available.

Buddah

When will this be implemented?

Back on-topic, I really really agree with not allowing the "Please Vote for File of the Month" since this means that people who never solicited will compete with people who never solicited.

But about saying like "Please Rate", I think this is not quite as good, I do know that this will in fact get people to rate more, but the bad thing is that brand-new files have a much much smaller chance of actually getting on the top 50, they'll be competing with files that have been actively soliciting ratings since the site launched and it doesn't seem 100% fair.

Bottom Line:

Soliciting Votes = No

Soliciting Ratings = Yes

If the recent file management improvements are any indication, I think I can shelve some of my concerns over the impacts of the incoming changes to the rate/vote system.

-It remains to be seen exactly how these incoming changes will affect FotM and Top50, but I'm really happy about the recent file management improvement at least.

Big thanks to the NEXUS Admin and Staff;

You've just made my life that much easier.

-ein

Edited by einherjrar

When will this be implemented?

I do hope soon!

It is a funny if I read that people rate a MOD but will not download it for one or the other reason.

How can they make their judgment without even trying?

No download no rating, even a download does not necessarily mean the downloader played the MOD but it puts the hurdles a bit higher, particularly for the large quest MODs that take a lot of work to create.

How exactly are things tallied up anyway?

I see some mods that only have 5 ratings and have a 9.5 and then see another mod that has over 100 ratings and have a 9.45 and that would mean the mod with only 5 votes wins. That just doesn't seem fair to me.

Is that somehow fixed with how you figure out the rating system?

Edited by Pineapplerum