Un-modded game ctd's randomly

Aiyatani

I finally was able to get Fallout 4 on my pc after so many years of having it on ps4. I got it for the mods I kept seeing for it that were pc only. I want to play through and get all the achievements like I did on ps4 before modding though since I read that mods block you from getting them. I have a problem though that I can't figure out.

I am just running along inside or outside doesn't matter where and the game will freeze up and crash with no error pop up or anything. Last night I was looking around Cambridge police station and I was on the stairs and it froze as I turned and crashed to desktop. Little while later outside I had to pause the game for a few minutes and when I came back it had ctd again.

I don't have any mods at all. I turned down the graphics as far as it will go. I even tried using a smaller resolution in full screen like I've done on other games that helped them play smoother. I don't know what else to do. I read something about weapon debris and a config file, but I have limited knowledge of configs or InI's from what I have done on skyrim. I don't even know where to start on Fallout. I have a not going to say good and not going to say crap computer. It lets me play games like black desert and warframe with no issues. If there is something hardware you need to know to help let me know and I will try to find it.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful. Help please?

Hi Aiyatani!

First off, congrats on getting the game on PC. As somebody who also got addicted to this game on a PS4, the move to PC is a really big one.

I am however, extremely sad to hear that you are having these kinds of problems! Especially on an unmodded game!

That said, this game is not what you would call a stable game. :wallbash: That's not to say that "Oh... the game is crashy, we just deal with it". Not saying that, at all. There's definitely things that we can do to try to help. However, even on a healthy version of this game, it does crash now and then. :mad:

Knowing what the system specs for your PC would definitely help us out.

If you find the This PC icon on your desktop, and Right click it, then choose Properties. That will give us a basic overview of what kind of machine you have. On the screen with that info there is a button that says Copy.

You can then right click and choose paste, or use CTRL and the V keys at the same time to paste the information into a post.

------------------

When I first started playing this game on PC, I was running it on a very, very potato laptop. I made a TON of .ini settings to help the little guy handle the game. Let me jump over to that laptop, look thru the .ini files to make sure none of the entries are mod specific, and I'll upload them for you.

Ok. Here is the files that I have on the laptop with the game installed on it. You will need a program that can handle .zip files.

If you already have a program that can handle this, you can ignore the following line. I myself prefer Peazip, it's a good, free program that handles the popular formats for files, and doesn't include advertisements or any other software. www.peazip.com

Ok here is a link to the files that I uploaded. https://www.mediafire.com/file/gdbpgrha46obue7/Ini_Settings.zip/file

Now, the disclaimer: I would not intentionally send anybody any kind of files, that could be harmful. However, the internet being what the internet is... I ALWAYS recommend that people virus scan ANYTHING that they download. I've used mediafire before, and people say that the files are ok. But again... the internet being what the internet is, I have to recommend that you virus scan the file after you download it.

There are 2 folders in the .zip file. One for your My Documents folder where the game files are located, and one for the main Fallout4 folder. There is an instructions file, in each of those folders. Tho the process is pretty much the same for each of them, lol. They are just .txt files, so you can open and read them with notepad, which comes with windows.

I DO believe that I have those .ini files set up to skip the intro movie, on new characters. IF that's something that you don't want, I will scope thru them and show you what you need to change in order to show them again. It's basically just changing a "0" to a "1".

This setup also removes a large amount of the ambient grass from the scenery. Which cut down significantly on the usage of the built in video card the laptop had. So just a warning there. Not really sure what the setting for that was. :(

Hi! Glad to see another person that likes this game as much as I do. It is big and a little scarey, intimidating when you look into mods and all the different things you encounter trying to play the pc version. I've played skyrim for years so I'm acquainted with crashes for no good reason. :p

I don't see a this pc icon on my desktop, but I went in and found that my processor is a Intel® Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz and under display adapters it say's Intel® HD Graphics 630. Hopefully that's what your asking for. If not I'll look for what you need. I'm using a HP from walmart basically. All I could afford at the time. :/

I have bandizip that should work to open it. Okay I'll download it and take a look. I would like to keep the intro at least for now. Be a way to learn what line to alter later if I change my mind. The grass shouldn't be a big issue. This is a post apocalyptic world so it would make sense grass would be missing honestly.

Thank you for being so helpful I didn't think anyone would answer me.

Edited by Aiyatani

Hi! Glad to see another person that likes this game enough to buy it twice. lol :tongue: I've played skyrim for years so I'm acquainted with crashes for no good reason. xD

I don't see a this pc icon on my desktop, but I went in and found that my processor is a Intel® Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz and under display adapters it say's Intel® HD Graphics 630. Hopefully that's what your asking for. If not I'll look for what you need. I'm using a HP from walmart basically. All I could afford at the time. :/

I have bandizip that should work to open it. Okay I'll download it and take a look. I would like to keep the intro at least for now. Be a way to learn what line to alter later if I change my mind. The grass shouldn't be a big issue. This is a post apocalyptic world so it would make sense grass would be missing honestly.

And there is the problem.... Beth games REALLY don't like integrated video..... Proc is good, just need a real video card.

Heyas Aiyatani.

Yep I got seriously hooked, when I played this game on my friend's PS4. I'll admit tho that I haven't run into some of the bugginess that I was seeing in the game, playing on console tho. Some of it was pretty funny, and kinda miss it! :D

The BIG key thing to remember, once you start playing with Mods.

As Wolfgang says:

"Moderation".

And do NOT test mods out on your current playthrough. Have a test character set up for testing mods on. Because sometimes adding/removing mods can mess up your savegames. ;)

But...

we need to get you to where you can PLAY first! :(

Ok. So first off, is this a PC or Laptop? And how much memory (RAM) is in the system? One of the things with your video card, is that it shares memory from your computer. Meaning that it doesn't have any of it's own. As it would if it had what's called a "dedicated" video card.

One of the things that I am concerned about, is that your system may not have enough memory to feed the card while this game is running.

Another thing to look at would be your power saving mode. If this is a PC, you can just turn it completely off. If this is a lappy, well... we will have to take a look.

And trust, I understand. When it comes to buying PCs, dey ain't cheap! Not all of us have 800-1200 for an entry level gaming machine!

Heyas Aiyatani.

Yep I got seriously hooked, when I played this game on my friend's PS4. I'll admit tho that I haven't run into some of the bugginess that I was seeing in the game, playing on console tho. Some of it was pretty funny, and kinda miss it! :D

The BIG key thing to remember, once you start playing with Mods.

As Wolfgang says:

"Moderation".

And do NOT test mods out on your current playthrough. Have a test character set up for testing mods on. Because sometimes adding/removing mods can mess up your savegames. :wink:

But...

we need to get you to where you can PLAY first! :sad:

Ok. So first off, is this a PC or Laptop? And how much memory (RAM) is in the system? One of the things with your video card, is that it shares memory from your computer. Meaning that it doesn't have any of it's own. As it would if it had what's called a "dedicated" video card.

One of the things that I am concerned about, is that your system may not have enough memory to feed the card while this game is running.

Another thing to look at would be your power saving mode. If this is a PC, you can just turn it completely off. If this is a lappy, well... we will have to take a look.

And trust, I understand. When it comes to buying PCs, dey ain't cheap! Not all of us have 800-1200 for an entry level gaming machine!

First funny bug I ran into was Mama Murphy on the roof. It's like woman can barely walk and she climbed up there lol. Sounds like the same procedure for skyrim. Test characters is how I try new stuff on there.

It is a pc and it says 8GB with 7.88GB usable. Power plan is still set on HP recommended and not power saving. I don't see a off option for it unless it's somewhere else on here.

No kidding! I wish I could afford my ideal pc, but that is in the future. xD This one will have to work for now.

Hullo!

HA! Yeah, settlers, and brahmin. "Roof brahmin"! I've had them spawn stuck in the bathrooms of some of the houses too!

That one can happen with the PC too. Tho, as we have a habit of saying... There's a Mod for that! :D

I'd recommend turning power saving off. As it's cutting power to some of your processes. It can also affect your wifi as well. https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-power-saving-mode-4706502

This might be a big help with whats going on with your crashes.

Mkay. The available ram that your computer has, might be an issue. Are you running windows 10 or did it come with 11?

One thing that I'd recommend doing, is watching Task manager (Ctrl + alt + delete keys, all at the same time), then choose task manager. There should be a link at the bottom that says More Options. Clicking on that, will show you what your RAM usage is. I'd recommend monitoring that. Especially during game play.

If you are hitting more than 85% during game play... You're going to have to come to a choice.

A) You can eliminate some of the software running in the background to try to reduce the demand on resources. Again, through task manager. Or via uninstall if you see some listed there, that you know that you don't want.

B) You may need to end up purchasing a RAM upgrade for your machine. This is not very expensive for a pc. With only 8gb of RAM in your machine, it really limits how much your machine can do. Especially when it is sharing the RAM with your video card. Myself, I recommend a bare minimum of 16gb.

Whether you want to upgrade past that tho depends on how much the motherboard in your machine will support.

However, that so far is not a "MUST" have, as far as we know. Monitor your Memory usage, especially while having the game running.

HAHA! Yeah, my ideal pc would be a shotgun. Two motherboards, 2 sets of processors, 4 video cards.... Ok ok, back to reality now, wolf! :D Someday tho... ;)

Hullo!

HA! Yeah, settlers, and brahmin. "Roof brahmin"! I've had them spawn stuck in the bathrooms of some of the houses too!

That one can happen with the PC too. Tho, as we have a habit of saying... There's a Mod for that! :D

I'd recommend turning power saving off. As it's cutting power to some of your processes. It can also affect your wifi as well. https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-power-saving-mode-4706502

This might be a big help with whats going on with your crashes.

Mkay. The available ram that your computer has, might be an issue. Are you running windows 10 or did it come with 11?

One thing that I'd recommend doing, is watching Task manager (Ctrl + alt + delete keys, all at the same time), then choose task manager. There should be a link at the bottom that says More Options. Clicking on that, will show you what your RAM usage is. I'd recommend monitoring that. Especially during game play.

If you are hitting more than 85% during game play... You're going to have to come to a choice.

A) You can eliminate some of the software running in the background to try to reduce the demand on resources. Again, through task manager. Or via uninstall if you see some listed there, that you know that you don't want.

B) You may need to end up purchasing a RAM upgrade for your machine. This is not very expensive for a pc. With only 8gb of RAM in your machine, it really limits how much your machine can do. Especially when it is sharing the RAM with your video card. Myself, I recommend a bare minimum of 16gb.

Whether you want to upgrade past that tho depends on how much the motherboard in your machine will support.

However, that so far is not a "MUST" have, as far as we know. Monitor your Memory usage, especially while having the game running.

HAHA! Yeah, my ideal pc would be a shotgun. Two motherboards, 2 sets of processors, 4 video cards.... Ok ok, back to reality now, wolf! :D Someday tho... :wink:

There is a mod just about everything from what I've seen lol. :tongue:

My pc is a windows 10. The power saving setting it's on says it balances between performance and energy consumption. I'll take a look at the link you sent and see what I can do. I've never messed with it before.

I'll try monitoring my task manager and see what happens. I haven't noticed anything running heavy with other games, but I haven't looked with this one yet. Depending on what is running I will try to get rid of it. I don't want to remove something I need by accident. xD

**I tried running the game in both windowed and full screen and looking at the task manager. Fallout is running at 84% and goes up and down between that and 96%. It and steam are the only things running high that I can see. Everything else is 20 or below on memory if it moves at all.**

I have no idea how to upgrade ram.. I really didn't think it would be that big of a problem, but I don't know a lot about computers to be honest. Only a little to get by. It's starting to sound like due to my crap comp the games never really going to play right so I wasted money buying the pc version of the game. :/

Edited by Aiyatani

Hi! Glad to see another person that likes this game enough to buy it twice. lol :tongue: I've played skyrim for years so I'm acquainted with crashes for no good reason. xD

And there is the problem.... Beth games REALLY don't like integrated video..... Proc is good, just need a real video card.

I'm hoping to find a fix that doesn't require me replacing pc parts. I don't have the money right now. :/