Improvman

at the moment I have no suggestions just curious. Though I have to say that the Fox like antroes might carry some sort of sword that doubles as a recurve bow? Something sly and stealthy just like a fox. and how to do something like that in game.... well i think the tau plasma carbine switcher would show you how to do something though I'm not sure how it works

For FO3/NV/TTW we would have to work through mods. However FO4 uses the Skyrim engine, so there is already code for bow/crossbow physics.

That isn't exactly how things work.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For FO3/NV/TTW we would have to work through mods. However FO4 uses the Skyrim engine, so there is already code for bow/crossbow physics.

It's a gamebryo engine, but it will have 4 years of advancements, just like skyrim had over FO3/FONV. I think there will be some big improvements over skyrim (think for instance of the advantages skyrim had in it's havoc engine vs fallout).

Bows have been possible since the early TES games (oblivion for instance) days. The physics or code isn't the issue, it's the animations. We would need an animator and even if we have one I'm not sure whether we have an open slot for that animation type (I don't know the details by heart), and if we don't I'm not sure a replacer is a good idea. But the game engine itself is fine with it, heck you can make missiles/projectiles with any animations. Want a spell caster for a VR, that's just a new animation. Want a implant that fires lasers from your eyes, yep, just another animation.

So for practical purposes I think a bow is, unfortunately out of the question :sad:

...Bows have been possible since the early TES games (oblivion for instance) days. The physics or code isn't the issue, it's the animations. We would need an animator and even if we have one I'm not sure whether we have an open slot for that animation type (I don't know the details by heart), and if we don't I'm not sure a replacer is a good idea. But the game engine itself is fine with it, heck you can make missiles/projectiles with any animations. Want a spell caster for a VR, that's just a new animation. Want a implant that fires lasers from your eyes, yep, just another animation.

So for practical purposes I think a bow is, unfortunately out of the question :sad:

To clarify I was suggesting that people who want bows should work with someone who made a bow mod for FO3/NV/TTW.

also there is a crossbow mod for F03 but I think it just uses animations similar to the dart gun.

Yeah with all the trucks with leaf springs, crossbows would fit right in. I think there are a few available (Blachnick90, micalov, Blachnick90) for NV. I have permission from DavidRiggs for his.

To clarify I was suggesting that people who want bows should work with someone who made a bow mod for FO3/NV/TTW.

I'm afraid we don't have any mods for bows available for FO3/FONV.

How do you know it's using the Skyrim engine?

also there is a crossbow mod for F03 but I think it just uses animations similar to the dart gun.

They mentioned it at E3.

Don't worry it will have significant improvements over the creation engine.

It's a gamebryo engine, but it will have 4 years of advancements, just like skyrim had over FO3/FONV. I think there will be some big improvements over skyrim (think for instance of the advantages skyrim had in it's havoc engine vs fallout).

Bows have been possible since the early TES games (oblivion for instance) days. The physics or code isn't the issue, it's the animations. We would need an animator and even if we have one I'm not sure whether we have an open slot for that animation type (I don't know the details by heart), and if we don't I'm not sure a replacer is a good idea. But the game engine itself is fine with it, heck you can make missiles/projectiles with any animations. Want a spell caster for a VR, that's just a new animation. Want a implant that fires lasers from your eyes, yep, just another animation.

Not only is making the animations a problem, but making one unique from the bow animations in Oblivion is an issue too. Bethesda enforces their philosophy with an iron fist, and that philosophy is that to each game it's own resources. They've already taken down mods that ported over horses and bows directly from oblivion, if this mod were to include bows the animations would have to be distinct enough from any other game that is a Bethesda property as to not be mistaken as a port. Still, if bows were somehow fit into this mod properly and without stepping on any toes as interpreted by Bethesda, I would love that :smile: ​

perhaps and entirely different way to hold the bow than what was used in oblivion. Hmm how easy would it be to have a bow that's held so that it's length goes across the characters chest then use a modified Dart gun animation to load and fire the bow?

Not only is making the animations a problem, but making one unique from the bow animations in Oblivion is an issue too.....They've already taken down mods that ported over horses and bows directly from oblivion, if this mod were to include bows the animations would have to be distinct enough from any other game that is a Bethesda property as to not be mistaken as a port. Still, if bows were somehow fit into this mod properly and without stepping on any toes as interpreted by Bethesda, I would love that :smile: ​

The issue with previous mods is it was using TES assets, not that it *looked* like similar animations.

The bow has been around for centuries before the first video game, and is used in various video games, art, animation popular culture etc. Bethesda doesn't have and never has been concerned with the bow being "distinct enough" from their other games, rather it's simply a question of not using Oblivion KFs....

So no, no need to change the way the bow is held and fired or anything like that (although there's nothing wrong with that if it's your preference) if a new, original KF is created by an animator.