Multiple Skyrims Running Different Mod Loadouts?

WarpedAcorn

Hey Guys.

I am new to the mod world, but am slowly learning about this wild and fantastic place. Right now I am wondering if there is a way to run multiple versions of Skyrim (not concurrently) with different Mod loadouts?

More specifically, I personally really like more immersive mods like RND, Frostfall-Hypothermia, Darker Nights, ect...My girlfriend really likes the cosmetic and "gamebreaking" mods. I know some mods (like RND or Frostfall) can be enabled/disabled in the MCM, but I was wondering if there was a way I could click one desktop icon and load up my Modded Skyrim and my girlfriend could click another icon to load up her version?

Thanks!

Hey Guys.

I am new to the mod world, but am slowly learning about this wild and fantastic place. Right now I am wondering if there is a way to run multiple versions of Skyrim (not concurrently) with different Mod loadouts?

More specifically, I personally really like more immersive mods like RND, Frostfall-Hypothermia, Darker Nights, ect...My girlfriend really likes the cosmetic and "gamebreaking" mods. I know some mods (like RND or Frostfall) can be enabled/disabled in the MCM, but I was wondering if there was a way I could click one desktop icon and load up my Modded Skyrim and my girlfriend could click another icon to load up her version?

Thanks!

Welcome!

You want to learn how to use a program called Mod Organizer. It lets you set up various profiles, so that you can have multiple savegames, each with its own mod set.

You can download it here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?

You can learn more about it here (see in particular the "resources" section, which has links to tutorial videos):

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

Skyrim Installation Swapper is one of the best tools for this, if you want completely separate installs with separate save game file, separate texture packs, and everything. It can hold up to 10 separate installs, and swapping between them is as easy as clicking a button and waiting a bit for it to move the files.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19034/?

I tried NMM, Skyrim Swapper, and Mod Organizer. Mod Organizer is by far the best of the lot for multiple profiles. The problem with Skyrim Swapper is two-fold. First, if you have lots of files in either the profile you switch to or from, then it can take awhile to switch whereas it's non-existent with Mod Organizer because it doesn't move anything. Second, if two profiles have any mods that both use (which will definitely happen), then Skyrim Swapper makes you have that mod installed twice which not only doubles how much space it takes, it also doubles how long it takes to move those files when switching. I loved Skyrim Swapper when I first discovered it. Then I found Mod Organizer and have never looked back. You can import/export using NMM, but that's no substitute for Mod Organizer's ability to keep track of different mod lists, ini's, and save-games all innately. And best of all, when you want to switch from one profile to another, it's instantaneous with nothing more than a drop down menu and choosing the profile. The only thing lost by using Mod Organizer is the ability to launch through steam. You start mod organizer and click run instead of using steam (and yes it works with skse).

Seriously, ArtMurder, if you haven't used it yet, I can almost guarantee you'd love it if you need multiple profiles.