CTD Before Menu Screen. Please Help!

squarezero

Just got a new computer and now that I have a 4070ti instead of a 1070 I am basically building the same mod list I had before but with better textures. For the past two days I have been having a CTD after the film reel screed before the menu screen any time -anything- alters the custom ini file. If I add archive invalidation the crash happens. If vortex pops us and tells me it wants to fix loose files and I say fix them, the crash happens. If I delete the ini files the game works again until the custom ini gets added back in, then the same crash starts happening again. This crash happens every time. I tried bypassing the film reel screen it just crashes a few seconds after being on the menu screen.

I can disable or uninstall every single mod and the crash still happens.

I have tried turning off anti-virus, adding exceptions etc. made no difference.

I have weapon debris turned to off (best performance) in the settings. Still happens.

I have disconnected from the internet. Made no difference.

I have deleted everything in the data folder and verified the integrity of the game files. Made no difference.

I have done a full and thorough uninstall and clean re-install staring all over, it still happens.

I have made sure the game, mod download folder, mod deployment folder are not in program files.

I have everything set to run as admin.

I have turned off cloud save, Steam Overlay, Nv overlay, not running any other programs etc.

The only thing that is different is that I downloaded a mod collection for Skyrim SE which works and is running great. When I switch over to managing fallout 4 in vortex I get a thing that says "failed to get list of collections" even though I've never downloaded a collection for fallout 4.

Things I am running running that could be relevant: F4SE, Baka Scrapheap, Buffout 4 (yes I have the requirements including the old microsoft file downloads and I have the toml files configured correctly for them to be working together), Sprint Stuttering fix, High FPS Physics fix, Shadow Boost, Weapon debris crash fix, ENB, ENB Helper, Reactor ENB.

Running windows 11 home.

No matter what I try, what I do, as soon as that custom ini gets touched by vortex or I try adding archive invalidation myself, or if I use the beth ini program (yes installed outside of fallout) I get this crash.

I am near pulling my hair out over this and frustrated on not being able to enjoy fallout on the new computer. If anyone has any new ideas, knows something I am overlooking, or can help you will be my personal hero. Thank you in advance!

Shouldn't need to run anything as admin.

It sounds like a missing master crash..... Try uninstalling the game using revo uninstaller portable. (its downloadable for free.) Use the 'moderate' setting. Purge all your mods, then run Revo. Revo will run the games unisntaller, then search for leftover files, and registry settings. It makes SURE you have a clean uninstall. *NOTE* I am not sure how it would handle mods though.... so, would be best to go thru and verify that the install folder, the folder in my games, and the folder in appdata are indeed gone. Once thats done, restart your machine. Reinstall the game. Do not install ANY mods. (DLC is fine.) Make sure the game isn't trying to use integrated graphics.... (nice vid card by the way. :D) See if just the game will start/run.

I am guessing windows 11?

Shouldn't need to run anything as admin.

It sounds like a missing master crash..... Try uninstalling the game using revo uninstaller portable. (its downloadable for free.) Use the 'moderate' setting. Purge all your mods, then run Revo. Revo will run the games unisntaller, then search for leftover files, and registry settings. It makes SURE you have a clean uninstall. *NOTE* I am not sure how it would handle mods though.... so, would be best to go thru and verify that the install folder, the folder in my games, and the folder in appdata are indeed gone. Once thats done, restart your machine. Reinstall the game. Do not install ANY mods. (DLC is fine.) Make sure the game isn't trying to use integrated graphics.... (nice vid card by the way. :D) See if just the game will start/run.

I am guessing windows 11?

Thank you for your reply. Yes, Windows 11 home, which is new for me and I'm still on the fence about....Ignorant question of ignorance; How do I make sure that the game isn't trying to use the integrated graphics? that would be a big problem because I got the KF processor lol.

Update for anyone running into this problem without explanation: The issue ended up being that that I needed to download the CC content I owned before installing -any- other mods. After doing a whole new uninstall and clean install using the program and methods as suggested above I had the same crash happening whenever I went to deploy my mods in vortex or install any other mod, but noticed there was CC data in my windows 11 app data even though I hadn't even touched the CC screen or downloaded anything from there. I did another full wipe and clean install, then downloaded the 2 CC items I own right away before doing -anything- else other than my basic graphics settings in the game launcher. Quit and deployed my modlist in vortex and BOOM everything suddenly worked and the crashes were gone. Ive never seen or heard of anything like this before so I can only assume its some new issue brought about by a windows 11 update and/or a steam update related to app/game/program purchases that they are somehow tracking.

Ok, now that IS unique..... Wonder if Steam remembers what stuff you own, even if you don't get it from them..... and includes that in the plugins.txt file in appdata.... Which would just be weird. :)

Thanks for posting the solution though. That is BOUND to help someone else. :D

your new card does not support "the fo4 weapon debris feature". if still activated in your ini your game will be a crash fest. google "no ctd for turing and you will find the info". also other workarounds existing if you like the weapon debris gimmick. good to be aware of that...

Can't speak for Vortex, don't use it.

CC content is downloaded from Bethesda.Net That is completely different than downloading the game from Steam.

Two completely different sources.

By any chance you didn't happen to just copy files from the old computer to the new one - did you?

A brand new computer wouldn't have any "residue". It would take the game you downloaded off Steam, create the .INI files and run the game without no earthly idea of CC content.

One other question? You use Steam Cloud?

Added: Steam Cloud remembers a LOT of your previous build. Your config files included.

Edited by fraquar