CTD when entering certain interior cells

ChewNTobacca

I've been putting the final testing on a village I've been working on (for over 2 years now). I use a separate PC for testing, and until recently I haven't had any probles. There are 6 buildings, and now I'm getting CTD when entering 4 of them on the test PC. Ideally I would have the exact same setup for testing, but here's the differences:

The design rig is Windows 10 running SSE prior to the anniversary update (1.5.97). The test rig is on Windows 7 with the anniversary update (1.6.64). I suspect that this may have something to do with the problem.

On the test rig, I checked for any conflicts in SSEEdit and LOOT, none found. Then I disabled every mod except the one in testing, and the problem persists. Some people say that it is a texture mod, but I have none installed.

I would love to get to the bottom of this, as once I do my village will be ready for release. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Chew

I've been putting the final testing on a village I've been working on (for over 2 years now). I use a separate PC for testing, and until recently I haven't had any probles. There are 6 buildings, and now I'm getting CTD when entering 4 of them on the test PC. Ideally I would have the exact same setup for testing, but here's the differences:

The design rig is Windows 10 running SSE prior to the anniversary update (1.5.97). The test rig is on Windows 7 with the anniversary update (1.6.64). I suspect that this may have something to do with the problem.

On the test rig, I checked for any conflicts in SSEEdit and LOOT, none found. Then I disabled every mod except the one in testing, and the problem persists. Some people say that it is a texture mod, but I have none installed.

I would love to get to the bottom of this, as once I do my village will be ready for release. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Chew

Well, I can't say that "what I'm going to say for certain will help, but here it is.

I tested my mod on both a "good" computer and a toaster and I usually play in first person so never caught an issue where, when in 3rd person, there would be a crash.. This was found by several players.

There were two things causing these crashes.

1, I had bowls of gems out in the open. This wasn't an issue in "oldrim" but for special edition there was always a crash in 3rd person. I removed them (sadly, they looked good) and that solved the crashing.

Do you have anything "shiny" or a lot of shiny things, things that might deal with how light reflects off of them, that are in the area?

2, I discovered that one room was too long. Again, in 3rd person it would crash. I truncated the space and that fixed the issue.

this large room was made using an interior cell and not an exterior cell.

Maybe either of those things will help?

You are both correct. Thank you, Sovrath, once I saw you say "lot of shiny things", I knew exactly what to check. Sadly, it was an item I made with a custom texture. I removed the item from one location, repacked my archive and tested. No more crash when entering that interior cell! I did discover that I still experienced the same crash while in 1st person ( I always play in 3rd person, so it never occurred to me). Then I removed the item from the other problem cells, and now they all load perfectly every time (so far).

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it very much. I think I can put on the finishing touches.

Thanks again.

-Chew

You are both correct. Thank you, Sovrath, once I saw you say "lot of shiny things", I knew exactly what to check. Sadly, it was an item I made with a custom texture. I removed the item from one location, repacked my archive and tested. No more crash when entering that interior cell! I did discover that I still experienced the same crash while in 1st person ( I always play in 3rd person, so it never occurred to me). Then I removed the item from the other problem cells, and now they all load perfectly every time (so far).

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it very much. I think I can put on the finishing touches.

Thanks again.

-Chew

I'm glad we could help and even more glad that you were able to find the culprit.

• 1 year later...

And now, more than a year later, I looked in here because of a location that liked to crash on entry.  Guess what I had: bowls of freakin' gems LOL.  I made a quest called "garnets are forever". Maybe I should call it "garnets are forever unless you leave a ton of the damn things lying around". Put them all into a chest. 
Much better now!

Muchas Gracias
~GMF~

• Like 1