Reintroduction to modding

Hi, it's been several years since I've modded Skryim and I'm wondering how different it is and if there are any new guides out there? I don't even understand the difference between to SE and Anniversary Editions and there effects on mods. I didn't buy the AE and have version 1.6.640 so am I able to use all SE mods or are they limited? I can't seem to find that anywhere. I see we're still using MO2, Wrye Bash, FNIS, SKSE, etc. So that is good and should get me off to a handy start once I find out the game version differences and any new and useful info. I thought the AE had to be purchased and set up with there account but it's just there without me having touched the game in 3 to 4 years. Please point me to any guides, posts or utilities that would benefit someone that's gone noob again lol. I was always a heavy modder using hundreds of mods and was thus extremely patient, precise and cautious, tested rigorously and always had a stable loadout , so I do not intend to step a toe in willy nilly now. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

MODMINS - apologies if this theme has a thread, please refer me and lock this if I posted stupidly. Thanks.

AFAIK, the major difference is for SKSE-dependent mods. There is a wiki that helps describe which of those mods are compatible with the various 'flavors' of Special Edition/AE. You can find it at ( https://modding.wiki/en/skyrim/users/skse-plugins ). I think the biggest changes are in the use of ESP-FE mods that do not count against the 254 .esp limit. Make sure that you use a mod manager and SSEEdit (xEdit), as the hunt for conflicts gets quite tedious even with them in the mix. Vortex and MO2 are the newest managers, and I have seen some users with a forked version of NMM that works with AE versions. If that is what you want, I am sure someone can point the way.

The mod source situation is somewhat more fragmented now, many older modders have posted their stuff elsewhere, like Arthmoor on AFKmods, and several on Patreon, but quite often not paywalled. If you have some favorite authors, you will probably have to search for them, after you ask around here a bit. I am not aware of any problems with site terms and these 'wayward' authors.

It wasn't too bad for me to go from 1.5.97 version to the 1.6.353 version, but I haven't gone to the DynDOLOD v 3.0 alpha version yet, I stuck with the 2.98. Just have a plan, install a few at a time, and check your entire LO for conflicts in SSEEdit. I had more problems with follower mods than anything else, as sometimes authors will not describe the install process enough, especially when they use their own internal version numbering. Of course, it doesn't help if you try to mod when you get tired, as I did, and neglected to install a base mod before a cosmetic mod.

Officially, game is still 'Skyrim Special Edition'. Its latest version (on Steam) is 1.6.640 and in addition to prior content, it also includes 4 Creation Club (CC) mods: Fishing, Survival, Saints/Seducers and Curios/Relics.

If you buy the 'Anniversary Upgrade', it is not another version, just a pack of additional Creation Club content added to the same SSE 1.6.640. And 'Anniversary Edition' on Steam is just a bundle deal : SE 1.6.640 + Anniversary pack.

But far as modding community goes, 'SE' now means version 1.5.97, which is what it was for 2 years before it was updated in Oct'21. Any version that is 1.6.+ is 'AE' .

Reasoning: official Bethesda-distributed content (Creation Club) must be runnable on clean unmodded version of the game, which means without SKSE. The updates to the base game expand functionality in pretty much the same way SKSE does. in order to support more advanced CC content features. Essentially adding to base engine some of what nod authors could access for years. Unfortunately, this engine rebuild meant existing SKSE was no longer compatible, as well as any other advanced mods that included .dll plugins. As a result, a fairly large chunk of players opted to revert/stay on 1.5.97 and never update. SKSE and majority of other cornerstone mods (Racemenu, ENB, HDT-SMP, DAR etc) have been updated to support latest 'AE', but some mods whose authors left the scene - i.e. NetScript Framework - were not.

For a mod user:

If you opt to stick to SE (1.5.97), anything pre-2022 will work. Anything released/updated in 2022 and beyond, you got to read the description and make sure you get a proper version.

If you go with AE (1.6.640 as of now): if it does not involve a .dll plugin, it will work. If it does, and was updated in 2022+, it should work.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info I'm in a similar place just returning to Skyrim after a long time away from it.

Officially, game is still 'Skyrim Special Edition'. Its latest version (on Steam) is 1.6.640 and in addition to prior content, it also includes 4 Creation Club (CC) mods: Fishing, Survival, Saints/Seducers and Curios/Relics.

If you buy the 'Anniversary Upgrade', it is not another version, just a pack of additional Creation Club content added to the same SSE 1.6.640. And 'Anniversary Edition' on Steam is just a bundle deal : SE 1.6.640 + Anniversary pack.

But far as modding community goes, 'SE' now means version 1.5.97, which is what it was for 2 years before it was updated in Oct'21. Any version that is 1.6.+ is 'AE' .

Reasoning: official Bethesda-distributed content (Creation Club) must be runnable on clean unmodded version of the game, which means without SKSE. The updates to the base game expand functionality in pretty much the same way SKSE does. in order to support more advanced CC content features. Essentially adding to base engine some of what nod authors could access for years. Unfortunately, this engine rebuild meant existing SKSE was no longer compatible, as well as any other advanced mods that included .dll plugins. As a result, a fairly large chunk of players opted to revert/stay on 1.5.97 and never update. SKSE and majority of other cornerstone mods (Racemenu, ENB, HDT-SMP, DAR etc) have been updated to support latest 'AE', but some mods whose authors left the scene - i.e. NetScript Framework - were not.

For a mod user:

If you opt to stick to SE (1.5.97), anything pre-2022 will work. Anything released/updated in 2022 and beyond, you got to read the description and make sure you get a proper version.

If you go with AE (1.6.640 as of now): if it does not involve a .dll plugin, it will work. If it does, and was updated in 2022+, it should work.