Photoshop and Skyrim DDS files

Warhog67

For the life of me I can not open any DDS files in skyrim to modify in Photoshop. I have updated PS, downloaded the latest DDS plug in for PS and still I keep getting a program error when doing this. The reason I am doing this is to modify tattoos to add to my custom follower. Even Gimp has an issue with the DDS files too.

Help plz,

TIA

** I even installed Nvidia Texture tool to PS and nothing. Same error message. Even installed the latest Gimp DDS program 3.0.1 (64) and same issue.**

Edited by Warhog67

What DDS plugin and Photoshop version are you using?

I see a few posts about the NVIDIA DDS plugin crashing Photoshop 2021 at https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1132?tab=posts, but the plugin from that mod page is from 2019.

The latest version from NVIDIA was updated in 2023: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-exporter

GIMP has limited support for the newer DDS formats, it cannot read files that use BC7 compression.

You could also try Paint.NET, it has built-in support for most of the newer DDS formats.

I recall having similar issue, after building my new PC last year, and then setting everything up. Photoshop 2022 would initially not recognize .dds files even with Nvidia plugin installed.

First/foremst - do you have an Nvidia graphics card? Pretty sure Nvidia plugin will not work on AMD card.

That out of the way - what you need to do:

In Photoshop, go File - Open As

Browse to where you have a .dds file you want to open, select the file, and in the format dropdown, look for 'DDS - NVIDIA Texture Tools Exporter'. Click OK.

You should get an importer popup - be sure to check 'Load Alpha as channel instead of Transparency', and uncheck Mip Maps and Flip options. And just in case, I opt to keep showing the popup.

Once you do this once, Photoshop should associate .dds extension with Nvidia plugin. You can now permanently have Windows associate .dds extension with Photoshop.