Can I script an enemy humanoid to cast destruction @ the player?

• 3 weeks later...

Using cast on an actor targeting the player doesn't work until the player is in touch range only

If I use a token, like a key as a token, and reference player with getcontainer then will cast make the npc shoot the player from range, or no?

I don't have the construction set installed rn.and I'm playing an new game. I was thinking about maybe making conjurers or some other magic enemy class more pew pew in combat

To be clear: The problem is they won't cast ranged target spells at the player until they are within touch distance

Edited by nenina

The Cast function can be pretty buggy at times. As the CS wiki says:

This function is unreliable when used to force an actor to cast a Target-range spell on a target which is not within Touch-range. Often the actor will attempt to walk into touch-range of the target and then cast the spell, but more frequently he will simply ignore the function.

But if you're just making new hostile NPCs why do you need scripts to make them cast spells? I think only putting ranged spells in their spell list would be a much simpler option.

Don't ignore their Combat Style ... it needs to be appropriate for their intended spells (destruction vs conjuration for example).

Using cast on an actor targeting the player doesn't work until the player is in touch range only

If I use a token, like a key as a token, and reference player with getcontainer then will cast make the npc shoot the player from range, or no?

I don't have the construction set installed rn.and I'm playing an new game. I was thinking about maybe making conjurers or some other magic enemy class more pew pew in combat

To be clear: The problem is they won't cast ranged target spells at the player until they are within touch distance

Because I'm going to put a token on an already existing magic enemy to try to make them more arcadey in combat by spamming range spells at the player every 1.5 seconds or less

Don't ignore their Combat Style ... it needs to be appropriate for their intended spells (destruction vs conjuration for example).

Oh, I don't think I'll mess with combat styles for fear of incompatibility but I would take into account what kind of magic user. Like a conjurer would probably cast summon dagger at the player if they have a powerful weapon out