Modders? You don't need no stinking Modders...

MrJoseCuervo

Not sure if any of you are aware, but ChatGPT is able to write scripts for you in papyrus and give you explicit instructions with just a simple question on how to accomplish something. At the very least it should be able to help you understand how modding works. Personally I try to avoid scripts due to the limitations of Bethesda games, but there's lots of potential there and knowledge to be gained.

I experimented with both ChatGPT and Bard Google. ChatGPT did better than Bard by far WRT to scripting, but ChatGPT wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. For example, it tried to use things like for loops and the like in some of the scripts it generated. However, it seemed to do a pretty good job of explaining what a script does. I posted in a few of Bethesda scripts and asked it for a line by line tutorial. kinggath did a tutorial vid on using it for speed modding (questing) worth a watch. I believe it is posted on his Bethesda mod school live site.

Agree, there is a lot of potential here.

I went looking for some scripting help via ChatGPT just a couple days ago and the first few iterations were unsuccessful. However, I tried again the next day, looking for pretty much the same solution and it spat out a perfectly useable chunk of code. Could be that the way I worded my inquiry didn't check all the boxes on the first go round, or I didn't quite have a precise idea of what I was trying to accomplish at first. Granted, I did change up my approach to how the code was to be executed, but on my second attempt, I was very exact in my wording and the resulting code looked nothing like what it had given me on the previous day. The first try it kept trying to use For loops, and when I would reply that Papyrus doesn't use For loops, it would try to adapt the code to using While loops, but the results were still unusable. On the second attempt I prefaced my inquiry with "Using a While loop..." and it worked on the first attempt.

I too went down that same route. I suspect how the request is phrased matters a lot, and as we gain more experience using it, we'll learn to be more precise in the asks. I also like the aspect that it can serve as a teaching aid, of sorts. When it comes to scripting, I need all the help I can get.

I messed around with PapyrusGPT, WordpressPhpGPT and UnityMonoGPT whilst doing tasks.

Maybe 50% could work as a primer, but it contains A LOT of error, omission and misdirection.

I too went down that same route. I suspect how the request is phrased matters a lot, and as we gain more experience using it, we'll learn to be more precise in the asks. I also like the aspect that it can serve as a teaching aid, of sorts. When it comes to scripting, I need all the help I can get.

I'm not much of a coder. I know enough to make the things I make...but I'm always trying to expand on what I know. I thought it was a decent learning experience. With each chunk of code it spit out, there was a breakdown as to what each part of the code was supposed to accomplish. It's a hell of a lot more useful than searching endlessly online for precisely the thing you're looking for.

I messed around with PapyrusGPT, WordpressPhpGPT and UnityMonoGPT whilst doing tasks.

Maybe 50% could work as a primer, but it contains A LOT of error, omission and misdirection.

Yeah. If you can't write scripts you probably can't read them either so why bother with something faulty like this...

I'm not much of a coder. I know enough to make the things I make...but I'm always trying to expand on what I know. I thought it was a decent learning experience. With each chunk of code it spit out, there was a breakdown as to what each part of the code was supposed to accomplish.  It's a hell of a lot more useful than searching endlessly online for precisely the thing you're looking for.

Okay, if it help you with learning then it makes sense. Just don't take anything for granted.

What are you trying to make on the AI? The next Sim Settlements? No. This is for very basic stuff ATM. Perfect for non coders who can get a snippet of code with an explanation.

Like I said, jailbreak it first, then be very specific.

Ask it something like "Can you make me a script that will cause a rad storm every 4 hours?" Please make the script for Fallout 4 Creation kit version xx.xx.xx and Fallout 4 Version xx.xx.xx"