Wet Paint! Waiting for the paint to dry?

Pagafyr

I wonder what would happen if the park caretaker painted the benches and posted. Please wait! Paint will be dry at 12:15 PM, Please wait! Paint will be dry at 1:21 PM, and so on after the caretaker painted each bench?

Would people stand around chatting and occasionally checking the time to see if it is safe to sit on a bench yet?

I wonder what would happen if the park caretaker painted the benches and posted. Please wait! Paint will be dry at 12:15 PM, Please wait! Paint will be dry at 1:21 PM, and so on after the caretaker painted each bench?

Would people stand around chatting and occasionally checking the time to see if it is safe to sit on a bench yet?

Of course they would. They would also be constantly checked to see if the paint was dry. :D

Of course they would. They would also be constantly checked to see if the paint was dry. :D

I suppose you are correct that they would test the paint too. Could they resist poking it with a finger to test the paint until the minute it was dry enough to sit on the bench?

I remember a story about a guy in college that decided to test an idea he had about people. He wanted to prove to himself if the norm was still true. The norm in this case is. Someone will press a finger into the paint if the sign says Wet Paint! The norm!

Will they still poke at it before the time if the sign says, "Paint will be dry at 12:15 PM, Please wait!"

I had a moment when I thought this might make an amusing moment. There used to be a television show that did things like it. Candid Camera TV Show.

I remember Robin Williams did something to entertaining breaking the norm effect in one of the movies he was in.