modmaking and compatability

cronosnake

Hi all,

I just wanted to check something about mods overwriting other mods. So, I made a mod for my sister that adds one of her characters as a follower in game. I placed her in the Sleeping Giant inn. Now, I'm also running a mod that affects taverns (namely Perseids inns and taverns). Just a couple facts I want to get straight.

1. These both edit the Skyrim.esm in the same spot, right?

(they both edit sleeping giant in a similar manner)

2. Does that make them incompatible (the last one loaded is applied)?

I guess a more generic approach is that if two mods add an item to a specific cell, only one of them takes effect just because they both edit said cell?

3. If this is an issue, what do I do about it? Is this just using TES5edit to merge mods?

Thanks for any help.

Now I'm imagining a hundred mods adding things to The Sleeping Giant Inn. "Quite a cluttered inn you run, Delphine. Might wanna take care of that..."

I've already had issues with Delphine not being able to find a path to the side room to talk to me after renting "the attic room" because of too many NPCs in the way. :sad:

OK, I get it. I also know of

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121126925#-1

and found it an interesting introductory read.

So, I wonder:

1) the BOSS for ordering mods relies on it's mod dependency database. Is this database handled manually, or automatically? I.e. when I release or update a mod that I created, what do I need to do to stay BOSS-compliant?

2) how to understand which mod conflicts result in a) immediate CTD, b) immediate CTD when entering cell with mod conflict, c) undefined state, i.e. corrupted savegame and troubles later d) other interesting possibilities I didn't think of at the time of writing this post

3) is it known what exactly are those "certain bits of mod data [which] will be saved in your save-game" mentioned there?

I'll be happy with links to tutorials or references that go deeper into this 'theory of Skyrim plugins'.