Vortex lagging entire pc

brahminman
Go to solution Solved by brahminman,

im trying to run them from an internal SSD. strange thing is how it wasnt an issue a few months ago when i was using it to play fallout 4, but for whatever reason now it just chugs. And i did check the processes but nothing stood out as being responsible. I closed most things to try and speed things along but all i can really say at this point is that vortex does not like my hardware.

Edited by brahminman

Guest deleted34304850

what are the specs of your machine?

what version of windows?

what is running on startup?

what cpu is installed?

how long do you leave your system before you reboot it?

there are third party utilities out there you can run that claim to free up storage - i wouldn't run them myself, under any circumstances, but they are out there. you could look at them to see if they can clean out storage. (personally, i'd just reboot).

when was the last time you defragged your hard drive? do you have any utilities that can run to keep its defragmentation low?

my machine has an intel i7 7700k, 16gb ram, geforce 1060, has windows 10 running off the internal hdd and all the gaming/vortex related things running off the ssd
the only things that run on startup are expressvpn, my pc's audiomanager, and the microsoft rundll thing.
I regularly turn my pc off when i am done using it and restart it at least once weekly
i actually defragged a few days ago since this was becoming an issue and i wanted to rule out everything that i could think of before coming here.
There was one other issue i was having but since the slowdown it fell to the wayside, for whatever reason i couldn't get vortex to get permissions to modify files on the ssd for skyrim only. it would spam 6 identical messages about "vortex_canary" not having permissions and how i could press a button to give it said permissions. this would fail every time and it would end up spamming said messages about 5 minutes later regardless of if i gave permissions or not. fallout 4 did not do this despite being in the exact same location with the exact same setup.

• Solution

finally solved it for the time being. defragmented again, got the latest c++ redist, deleted EVERYTHING vortex related, reinstalled vortex with the default install location. everything seems to be working at a reasonable speed. thanks for all the advice.