No more GTA for the under 18's in Illinois!

Dark0ne

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Doom was brand new it ispired people to go on really killing sprees, but violent games have been around for about a decade, and I think the law is a waste of time, I'm 14 and I've played vilent games for years and I've never been affected by them in any negative way.

I believe you mean "inspired lawyers to blame the game so they can get more money and/or a shorter prison sentence for their client." The games to violence link is pure idiocy, nothing more. It's never been proven and never will be. It's just a modern version of the "D&D leads to satanism and murder" paranoia.

Give me one inkling of proof that Doom inspired ANYONE to go on violent killing sprees.

I doubt Jack the Ripper played Doom...what do you think inspired him?

Those crazy dorks at Columbine played it...so what? Doom is played by millions of bullied nerds worldwide...and many other rejects of society. The media and frustrated parents are just looking for scapegoats, instead of accepting the fact that if you bully someone who you think is weaker than you...one day you may just push them too far...and all that rage they have been suppressing will snap their fragile grip on morality.

I myself am 20 years old, and have never had any problems buying video games, however; my friend had to get me to buy his copy of GTA for him. The clerk said he was too young, so my friend turned around, handed me the game and I bought it.

“Sorry I cannot sell you this.” Says the clerk.

“Huh? Why not?” says my friend.

“You are under age.” He replies.

My standing close enough to hear him, my friend turns to me and says:

“Man, buy this for me.”

“Alright, I would like to buy this game.” I tell the clerk.

“Your buying this for him.” He snaps.

“No, I like the game and I would like to buy it.” I respond.

“Oh… well all right then” he shrugs.

And there you have it; millions of dollars are spent to keep a bunch of dummies in a room to make these dummy laws. Got to love democracy.