(QUESTION) Mod Packs and Collections

marckinhos

where are the mods coming from? where would your collection be stored?

I already answered that:

"The mods here in Nexus don't necessarily need Vortex/managers to be downloaded or installed, the same would be the case with this mods pack."

The only way to do that, would be if you had all of the mods, their assets, etc, archive in some fashion, such that you would have ONE truly huge download. If you don't have permission from each and every mod author in that 'mod pack', you would be violating copyright... Nexus won't allow you to upload that here.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

so, you gather all the mods for your collection from nexusmods, and presumably they all go into a single directory. you zip that up, and store it where? a google drive? a discord link? "the cloud"?

and, as i already asked - if one of those mods is updated, your collection is instantly out of date. how do you cater for that?

you've not really given any answers other than you don't want to use vortex, which, as a reason to do all this is, well, s#*!, really.

I already answered that:

"The mods here in Nexus don't necessarily need Vortex/managers to be downloaded or installed, the same would be the case with this mods pack."

The only way to do that, would be if you had all of the mods, their assets, etc, archive in some fashion, such that you would have ONE truly huge download. If you don't have permission from each and every mod author in that 'mod pack', you would be violating copyright... Nexus won't allow you to upload that here.

Yes, it'd be like one huge file, or zipped files for the pack. There are huge mods in Nexus, the size of DLCs or expansions, stored in Nexus, couldn't a mods pack work the same way?

About copyrights, there would be no copyright violation, but maybe some violation of Nexus rules, that's why I'm asking for clarification in the forums. The articles in Nexus explain a lot, but still I'd like to know about this more clearly you know. Although they say collections and packs are different, in essence they're the same, there are just different rules applied for each case.

so, you gather all the mods for your collection from nexusmods, and presumably they all go into a single directory. you zip that up, and store it where? a google drive? a discord link? "the cloud"?

and, as i already asked - if one of those mods is updated, your collection is instantly out of date. how do you cater for that?

you've not really given any answers other than you don't want to use vortex, which, as a reason to do all this is, well, s#*!, really.

The pack would be stored in Nexus, like other DLC-sized mods are.

I already answered you about updates. It's a manual installation pack, it's for the user to manually install the pack and to eventually update a mod.

I've already explained why and although you have your opinions and you think it's s*lly, I think differently and I think it's useful.

The main reason, again, is for convenience and to facilitate installations especially for those who prefer to install mods manually. Collections works for Vortex only and works best and more automated for premium users only. Packs with manual installation would help in this regard.

There would be no need for 3rd party mod managers.

Users would download the whole pack directly.

For some, manual installation and updates are a downside, for others it isn't.

The pack would be stored in Nexus, like other DLC-sized mods are.

I already answered you about updates. It's a manual installation pack, it's for the user to manually install the pack and to eventually update a mod.

I've already explained why and although you have your opinions and you think it's s*lly, I think differently and I think it's useful.

The main reason, again, is for convenience and to facilitate installations especially for those who prefer to install mods manually. Collections works for Vortex only and works best and more automated for premium users only. Packs with manual installation would help in this regard.

There would be no need for 3rd party mod managers.

Users would download the whole pack directly.

For some, manual installation and updates are a downside, for others it isn't.

Another important thing to mention is that the pack would not have duplicate files, like in collections when using Vortex, with many mods that use the same files. This would save space and make things (possibly) run faster.

Why not create a list with links and post it on the forum or under an image in the imageshare? it's the way it was done in the past, that way you're not denying downloads to the people who actually created the mods. Zipping up a bunch of other people's mods and uploading them has never been seen as acceptable in this community, as someone who's been a member here for over decade you should know this.

I already answered that:

Yes, it'd be like one huge file, or zipped files for the pack. There are huge mods in Nexus, the size of DLCs or expansions, stored in Nexus, couldn't a mods pack work the same way?

About copyrights, there would be no copyright violation, but maybe some violation of Nexus rules, that's why I'm asking for clarification in the forums. The articles in Nexus explain a lot, but still I'd like to know about this more clearly you know. Although they say collections and packs are different, in essence they're the same, there are just different rules applied for each case.

Erm, yes, there would. You would be taking someone elses work, and distributing it. If you didn't have permission for EVER mod in your pack, that IS a violation of copyright. No getting around that. File size is irrelevant.

Why not create a list with links and post it on the forum or under an image in the imageshare? it's the way it was done in the past, that way you're not denying downloads to the people who actually created the mods. Zipping up a bunch of other people's mods and uploading them has never been seen as acceptable in this community, as someone who's been a member here for over decade you should know this.

I'd user the mods with permissions granted from the authors and also the copyrighted content, like related to music will have permissions granted. I just want a better clarification about Nexus rules and if it's possible or not to share packs here, since collections are now a thing.

With this list of links you mentioned the user would still have to visit and download all mods one by one and they'd have to remove the duplicates and organize the files. They wouldn't need Vortex, but Vortex in this case would still be better, at least faster I guess.

I already answered that:

Erm, yes, there would. You would be taking someone elses work, and distributing it. If you didn't have permission for EVER mod in your pack, that IS a violation of copyright. No getting around that. File size is irrelevant.

With permissions granted there'd be no copyright violations. Idk about violating the rules of Nexus though, that's why I'm asking here, if it's possible or not to upload a mods pack, instead of a collection.

I already answered that:

With permissions granted there'd be no copyright violations. Idk about violating the rules of Nexus though, that's why I'm asking here, if it's possible or not to upload a mods pack, instead of a collection.

Correct. If you had permission for every mod in the mod pack. Don't expect that to happen though. Fair few mod authors are opted in to donation points, which is based on the number of downloads they get. If YOU are distributing their mod, they don't get those downloads.... Even those that aren't opted in, a significant percentage of them still remember all the negative connotations of 'mod packs'.... and want no part of them.

Better plan would be to just spring for one month of premium, and then download the collection you want via vortex.