I think I've completely messed up my save and I don't know how to fix it if I can.

Cobaltic

I couldn't decide whether to post this in technical issues or mod troubleshooting but since the issue occurred in a modded save I decided to post here, even though I'd rather never have to post anything on this site ever.

So, I have a pretty irresponsible past with modding fallout 4. The mods I installed with little to no consideration regarding compatibility, I genuinely believe, have had some potentially irreversible effects on my game regardless of how many "clean installs" or other troubleshooting methods I've performed. More recently, I've been doing this modded survival playthrough with a major emphasis on creating a small load order containing mods that I consider to be absolutely essential. As soon as I started the playthrough I already noticed a few issues such as being able to access the console, but that's fine because sometimes I need it to pass potentially bugged quests. A few more hours into my playthrough and I noticed my character had this odd skin coloured mesh sort of protruding out of his right cheek, it wasn't intrusive and it kind of looked like he had a burn there that stopped facial hair from growing, Kellogg for some reason had the same issue. I attributed these issues to being leftover from my previous modding misadventures and left it at that.

And this is where the problem hits, I maybe kind of sort of betrayed my initial idea of a minimalistic load order and I started installing a few small to medium sized mods mid playthrough including two mods named hardcore health overhaul and true damage which I heard about in a video made by the guy who made the former mod, I thought they would really help balance survival mode especially since it uses the same bullshit outgoing/incoming damage multipliers from very hard difficulty and the latter mod also lets you tweak these values with the mod configuration menu mod which I also installed. The problem isn't with these mods I don't think, because they actually worked pretty damn well except for changing the damage multipliers which has literally never worked for me before anyway (again likely an issue caused by me in the past).

I had my eyes on this mod that I installed years ago called The Train. The reason I liked it so much was because of the train settlement and how it gives you the ability to set a moving background all around the train, giving you the impression you're travelling somewhere. I really like these things for some reason so I thought I'd install it again and then it happened. The first issue I noticed was that any damage inflicted on me or my companion by any enemy would instantly kill me and incapacitate any companion I had with me, then I noticed that npc's "waiting for you to talk" lines have been replaced with a consecutive series of subtitles belonging to the companion added by the train mod. I decided to try and remove the mod to see if it was fixed only to discover that it wasn't. I also noticed that I couldn't access MCM from the pause menu anymore because the option isn't there and the console was also disabled. Whatever The Train has done to my game, it's gone deep into it's code to screw things up and I've no idea what it's even done and how to change it back. I don't even need the console I just don't want to die in one shot anymore. I feel as though it's also worth mentioning that I made a backup save from before I installed the train but loading that didn't do anything.

Sorry for all this text but I believed it was necessary to provide this much context in order to convey the issue in a way you can hopefully understand. I can provide my mod list if asked but I don't want to do that unless someone actually tries to help me which I'm not confident will happen. Either way, thanks in advance for anything you can say to help.

Edited by Cobaltic

The only way to fix that, is going to be loading a save from BEFORE you installed the train mod. Either that, or start a new game. Adding/removing mods mid playthrough is pretty much a guarantee that your save is going to get borked.

Yeah I tried that. I still have a save from before I installed it as a backup which I loaded with the mod disabled and it didn't fix the damage, the console or MCM. I think maybe it's my game that's bricked, not my save. I could try and start a new game to see what happens and come back with an answer but I'm not confident.

Edit: Started a new save with all mods besides The Train loaded and the issues persist. This is most likely a problem with my game.

Edited by Cobaltic

Yeah I tried that. I still have a save from before I installed it as a backup which I loaded with the mod disabled and it didn't fix the damage, the console or MCM. I think maybe it's my game that's bricked, not my save. I could try and start a new game to see what happens and come back with an answer but I'm not confident.

Edit: Started a new save with all mods besides The Train loaded and the issues persist. This is most likely a problem with my game.

remebr when you make a backup save, save both the main savegame file and the f4se small file thats right with it in yourr savegame folder

I dont fully understand it but I found if I dont take both my savegame will not work.

Problem Solved I think. Turns out this whole time I forgot to launch the game with F4SE like an imbecile. MCM is back, damage works properly again but I still can't access the command console which is fair enough because it was supposed to be disabled anyway. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Edited by Cobaltic