Crashes during a particular quest

kangxi

Hi all, looking for a little assistance here. I d/l'd Oblivion from GOG, installed it, and (using Vortex) loaded and installed all the mods in the Through the Valleys bundle. I added a couple of further mods and launched the game. It was fine, everything ran smoothly. I've been playing for a couple of weeks. I'm at about level 8 or 9 and doing the first of Burz Gro-Kash's Fighter's Guild quests, called the Desolate Mine (I have to deliver some weapons to three fighters then help them to clear the mine of goblins). Inside the mine, once I hand the weapons over the game freezes briefly then shuts down. I've tried to bypass the fighters by sneaking past them and pickpocketing a key to go solo, but as soon as I open the nearby door to go further inside the mine, the game shuts down. I tried using the console to mark that particular quest as cleared but when I report back to Gro-Kash he thinks I haven't started the quest. I suppose I could just not do it but that shuts off a whole series of quests.

I'm running it on a desktop, under Win10 Home and I've 16G of RAM. I don't have a video board but I assume the video capability of the motherboard is adequate since I've played the game for many hours without freezing, crashing, stuttering, or lapses of any sort up to this incident.

Any ideas?

You should manually install the mods and never use Vortex with Oblivion.

What do you use to set your load order?

Did you check for errors and verify if the mods are clean? https://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=TES4Edit_Cleaning_Guide

MessageLogger? https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45870

First thing I would try is to go back to a previous save before entered the cave, go do something else, wait until the next day, and go try the quest again. That would point to one of those situations where something just got bugged in the cave.

Next would be to look for conflicts between mods for the quest, the cave, or even changes to the NPCs there.

And I agree with OblivionAddicted. Use Wrye BASH and build a BASH patch. Just that patch can resolve conflicts you didn't know about.

Edited by GamerRick

• 10 months later...

Google just lead me to this old post because I'm having the same crash using the Through the Valleys modlist. The crash happens right at the start of quest step 30, after you've handed the weapons to everyone. maybe the crash has something to do with them trying to equip the weapons, because the only thing in messagelogger was something about "WARNING - asctoken must select biped".

the only way i was able to get past it was by advancing the quest stage. before talking to anyone, open the console and type this, then hit enter:

setstage FGC06Courier 40

it seemed to complete the quest fine and i've moved to the next part of the Fighter's Guild in Chorral

I've never had an issue with that quest, so I'd say there's something else in your load order causing trouble. When mods have errors or crash, you won't see messages for the mod in question. It's usually mods later in the load order that will post error messages because the bad mod has stopped everything else from running properly.