⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Nexus Mod Manager plans, answers and if you're a coder, we want yo

Dark0ne

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hobby coding project

Nice words, O Dark One, but this isn't for your regular boffin nerd. This is a big program, and even for a whiz new to C#, to actually understand how this thing ticks is an assured investment in considerable time and grunt.

Its fantastic to see an honest developer for once. Mucho kudos to you.

I think that NEW NEXUS users see the NMM as the primary part of the NEXUS. So when its gone they don't know what to do next. When in reality NMM is a courtesy allowing simplified access to the mods.

Beta releases allow use of the product while admitting it may not be ready helps everyone with an informed choice FOR FREE. Plus IF you have an issue you don't have to wait on a premium rate phone number to get your issue ignored either! The modders and staff actually read your comments!

NMM is a FREE ADDITIONAL service that makes it possible for users (plus Imbeciles like me) to Quickly mod their games with minimal knowledge and effort. Rather than having to learn a new coding skillset to modify and improve the half finished games I've paid for. The best bit - ITS NOT COMPULSORY! IF you don't like NMM, the NEXUS site still allows you to get mods in other ways, like direct download. Same as it always has.

A pet peeve of mine ever since web updates were invented, has been half assed software releases charging premium prices for shoddy work. All because the developers can cash in before finishing the work with patches. Its not just the Gaming industry either.

Modders and Mod supporters like nexus provide all their hard work FREE!!!! And This FREE SERVICE really only exists due to premium members and donations.

Those of us mature enough to understand. Do understand what a great service Nexus and NMM offers. Buggy or not.

trix

Edited by versengeteriks

There is one thing I would ask the great team working on NMM to reconsider (and I do say REconsider because they most certainly already did this evaluation a couple times already) and that is the included scope for version 1.0. Those of us who have been around modding for awhile have seen many mods fail because they were too ambitious in scope and not broken into releases that people could get their hands on and create support around. Instead, the initial excitement around a great idea faded away as everyone got tired of waiting for the never-quite-ready mod to be delivered.

While NMM has most certainly seen many releases slowly improving functionality (thanks again BTW, we all appreciate it! ) it occurs to me the team may be making the same old mistake as it relates to a non-beta version 1.0

Does version 1.0 really need a new UI or Mod profiling before being delivered as a "stable" product? Maybe take the first three content bullets above and once complete declare that version 1.0 and lock down your coding practices. Six months from now version 2.0 has the new UI, and another six months hence we see mod profiling as 3.0. As long as you don't architect yourself into a corner by not considering the other content you want to deliver you will be fine.

Same with game engine inclusion. If it takes (for example) six months to fully integrate a new game engine and you aren't willing to lock down game engine scope for version 1.0 then you will find yourself on a never ending conveyor belt because new engines will keep coming out inside your six month steps.

As someone who hasn't contributed anything to this project except being a regular user of NMM I will not criticize the team's decisions or progress, but I don't think it hurts to throw out a suggestion... sometimes less is more :)

Edited by maxrsp

Does it really matter what the version number is? If the thing works then who gives a rats patoot about whether it is in Beta still. Keep it in beta for all eternity for all I care, version numbers mean nothing compared to the 99.99% success rate that I have experienced with NMM and NexusMods in general. Heck I remember when this was just a Morrowind modding community, keep up the great work you guys I've never regretted going premium.