"Can't find Starfield.exe" despite being set to the Content folder it's in

BrandonSkyblade

I'm guessing you're attempting to use SFSE like I want to use (also a Microsoft Store/XBOX Games purchaser/user here). Apparently SFSE (and therefore any mods that _require_ SFSE) will ONLY work with the Steam version, because the Game Pass/Microsoft Store version's executable is programmed differently from the Steam version. It's stupid and ridiculous, but the creator of the SFSE is refusing to support the GP/MS version because it would be "too much extra effort".

No, they're refusing to support it because it would be illegal.

Ummm no? There's nothing 'illegal' about supporting it, by that logic -ANY- modding is 'illegal', They blatantly explain they do not want to go through the time and effort to make SFSE work with the GP/MS versions. The only thing that could be interpreted as 'illegal' would be their mention of protection issues, which would imply DRM protection, which isn't even illegal, as Starfield is a game that openly allows modding and is a single-player game with absolutely no online play possible.

No, they're refusing to support it because it would be illegal.

Ummm no? There's nothing 'illegal' about supporting it, by that logic -ANY- modding is 'illegal', They blatantly explain they do not want to go through the time and effort to make SFSE work with the GP/MS versions. The only thing that could be interpreted as 'illegal' would be their mention of protection issues, which would imply DRM protection, which isn't even illegal, as Starfield is a game that openly allows modding and is a single-player game with absolutely no online play possible.

GP and MS exe files are encrypted, thus no support for script extenders. Not that the team doesn't WANT to, it's that they CAN'T.

I've had this issue for a few days myself but this morning it launched from vortex with no problems. I go the shop, come back and it can't find starfield.exe again wtf? (steam user)

same for me. yesterday it worked. How is that possible?

steam version

"Executable: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Starfield\sfse_0_1_0\sfse_loader.exe" doesn't exist

Edit: I think the problem was Microsoft OneDrive. I disabled sync it for my "Documents" folder. And then i had another error: I should delete the Data Folder in MyGames/Starfield/data but move every data containing to the gamefolder Starfield/data

• 2 weeks later...

Self-explanatory problem. I set it to that folder, installed mods just fine, try to launch the game and...it can't find the exe. It's right there in the Content folder of the game. Why is not launching?

Does it get funky with trying to use mods from the PC Game Pass Xbox app rather than Steam?

I was just playing the game last night, thru SFSE_loader.exe. I had to install the new updated version. The game launched fine, i played for an hour, woke up this morning and... SFSE says it can't find Starfield.exe, even though I'm looking at the folder and every file is where it's supposed to be. This is nuts.

The game does run if I launch it from Steam, but not if i launch it either thru Vortex, or by double clicking SFSE.exe in the Starfield folder.

Okay, this was weird. Been trying for over an hour to figure out what was messed up, even dragging and dropping the SFSE files back into the "Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starfield" Starfield folder, rebooting the computer, etc...

I tried launching it thru the sfse_loader.exe and it always came up with the same error message. So I was wondering what was up with Starfield.exe. I R-clicked and looked at properties, it looked fine. I double clicked sfse_loader.exe and it ran just fine. WTF?? Did simply looking at the Starfield.exe properties remedy this?? I'm really confused now, but the game runs thru SFSE, so....

Edited by Grimalken