Gothic III

Morgoth

A few days ago, Gothic III has been revealed in a German pc gaming magazine. As of now, there is only very few info on the game, but judging from the released screenshots alone, this game should be able to compete with Oblivion just as its predecessor did with Morrowind.

A (German) teaser site has gone online under www.gothic3.de

For those who are to able to get it, the relevant article has been printed in issue 06/05 of PCGames.

Gothic has little or no following in the UK. None of my friends have heard of it. I myself have never played it. I think it's a bit sad since it sounds good.

I played the first one. It was very atmospheric, had a good soundtrack and good graphics for it's time. But the gameplay was pretty bad really, I liked how your style would change as you became stronger, the choice between camps and all the more role-playing side of things but, being almost instantly killed by anything in areas too high for you while barely being able to shave 1/25th of their HP off after 5 stabs was a bit overblown I thought.

Also a number of the elements were a bit too much like an action game for me. Jumping over platforms with lava below, that sort of thing. I finished it, but only with a significant amount of cheating. It would've driven me nuts otherwise...

Basically I haven't felt it worth getting the others because of this. I never considered Gothic II a serious contender for Morrowind personally...

In my eyes it definitely was.

Of course, the approach is slightly different (with a bit more action-oriented gameplay in Gothic, and a bit less freedom as far as your actions were concerned in return for a denser storyline - although the fact that what you critize (the ability to go anywhere although you are instantly slaughtered by a horde of orcs if you aren't careful) provides much more freedom than most other RPG's).

The controls in Gothic I took some time to get acquainted to, and consequently Gothic II featured both the old and a new, mouse-focused way of controlling your character - I can't remember any of those platformer-like episodes you mention ... maybe it's been too long that I last played Gothic I.

In my opinion it is a pity that Gothic hasn't received as much international attention as it did in Germany - maybe it is a matter of different tastes.

I've also just read the article in that mag, and it sounds as though Gothic III will become a worthy sequel to the second part. The developers aren't planning any massive changes, but are rather improving on the points players liked about the first two parts.

There's a much huger and more detailed game world (20 settlements in contrast to the 4 or 5 you had in Gothic II + add-on, about 50 kinds of enemies, various climatic zones) and the devs promise more freedom (e.g. free choice of party members, the decision on a character class is - in contrast to part II - not bound to a faction anymore (whose number has increased from three to six)).

BTW, I noticed the teaser site is not only in German, you can also switch to an English version via the flags in the top rght corner.

BTW, I noticed the teaser site is not only in German, you can also switch to an English version via the flags in the top rght corner.

Yes, and it looks like it's been written by a person with as much knowledge of English as I do of German! It's not good for International sales if the site looks like it's been written by an illiterate person (although that's not the case, I'm sure you get my point).

Urgh, I just checked on the English version, that one is indeed beyond compare (in a negative sense). I would have expected that someone at Piranha Bytes can produce some better English than that ("you can keep yourself in the picture" :blink:).

If their entire international PR works on that basis, small wonder they haven't attracted too much attention - I'm so positive as to assume that they use to hire professional translators for the actual game... they do, don't they? :glare:

Haha yeah. The dialogue in the game was proper English, the first one at least. ;) But I agree that the international coverage of Gothic hasn't been great. I don't even recall how I came across it...

Yes Gothic had an unusual amount of freedom, but also nowhere near as much as Morrowind offered... maybe Gothic II was different, though. I should probably read up on it some time. :P

And yes I distinctly remember having to jump over large drops, at least in the final area with all that lava in Gothic. Failure to land properly resulted in instant death. I don't appreciate platformer-esque elements like that in an RPG...

I don't fully recall what else I didn't enjoy about the gameplay, it's been a good 2 years or so since I last played it... but I know I found it unnecessarily difficult. :P As I said earlier though, I did enjoy the more RPG-like elements of it... unfortunately the gameplay eventually overrid that.

Archived