Lower Starting skills?

chocolatenoodle

Starting with every skill in 15 seems a little high for a completely new character to me. Other than modifying via console in-game, can anyone tell me how to modify starting skill values for all races? I've been looking through the creation kit for a while and I just can't find where the values are set.

That or a mod that already does this, and preferably little else.

Open creation kit, wait until its ready, then click Characters menu, from there you will find Race submenu. Open it and edit wanted race(s) stats you want to.

After first edit is good to save project if you want chance multiple things, CK may crash.

Finally found it. In the Creation Kit, up at the top go to Gameplay->Settings and find iAVDSkillStart and modify the value from 15 to whatever you choose. If you're using Random Alternate Start (and probably other Start mods), you have to modify the RAS esp itself in this way or it won't work, even if you make a new esp and move it to the bottom of the load order.

I've changed my starting skill value to 5. I like it so far. Early leveling might be a bit too fast but it's nice to know my character isn't just magically a little experienced in everything.

Edited by chocolatenoodle

• 6 months later...

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing. Ive looked for awhile to find this value. Granted lowering all skills to 0 would give people a potential 27 more relatively easy levels.

I wonder if theres anywhere we can lower the starter health, magic and stamina at. I notice all races are supposed to start with 50 on everything, but we get 100. That might make it a bit more even if we dont get that extra 50 on everything, which would be 15 levels worth of stats.

Searching in there for start, I found fStatsHealthStartMulti which has a default value of 0.5. Hmm, I also found one called fdefaulthealth which starts at 50. There's also magicka and stamina versions, figured they were probably it but they weren't.

Edited by GSmog

Yea I am interested in them. But Id still like to know where the value is for the default health/magic/stamina values~ maybe I found the right values but something else is also editing them, maybe the alternative life mod.

Yea I am interested in them. But Id still like to know where the value is for the default health/magic/stamina values~ maybe I found the right values but something else is also editing them, maybe the alternative life mod.

It's based on the race of the actor, so BretonRace, NordRace, etc.

Hmm, really? What about custom races, does it add one there for each custom race automatically? Or do custom races use the default one? hmmmm~

Now that Im thinking about it, I wonder if the mods you linked to effect custom races.

Im really digging those mods though. Can set the normal skills to 0 or 5 if I want and leave them as that other than race stuff, or can completely redo them all. I also like how it keeps track of the health automatically and easily. Plus I dig anything that lets me improve my carry capacity. :)

Edited by GSmog