Experienced modders: Can this game be fixed?

GeevilEnius

"Can this game be fixed by the modding community? Should I hold out that hope, or just give up and grieve what could have been?"

This question makes no sense. I get the game has issues, but without specifying the issue, that question can not be answered. What you consider broken isn't inherently so, and asking a vague question in some backhanded remark about its state is intellectually dishonest at best.

Modders can fix a lot of things. They can't fix what you've got broken if you can't even bother articulating it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bethesda is sticking with the old engine because they are lazy.

End of story.

They know they can make millions on marketing, because people are sheep.

They are sheep herders, not game developers anymore.

Starfield isn't my cup of tea, but Elder Scrolls and Fallout are.

I've lost hope they can create a game worthy of those titles anymore.

Scary, but true.

I'm not sure how people sign on to work for Bethesda anymore save the money.

They have virtually no creative juice anymore.

You know that doesn't make sense, right? Because with Unity and Unreal, they could have picked up either if they were lazy and produced greater results.

I am quite convinced that they stuck with the old engine to make us modders more comfortable.

no, just suddenly switching to a new engine, its the same as starting to produce cars on the assembly lines of a tank factory. They have their own technology, their own staff, their own established production style. Changing an engine is not easy. Another thing is how much it was actually possible to upgrade ce. Was it possible to attach technology similar to Nanite to ce? Is it possible to create automatic generation of LODs? Was it possible to create advanced havok physics for zero gravity? And so on. questions.

Changing an engine is not easy.

A big part of that is also existing assets, for which Beth is understandably keen on reusing them wherever their licensing permits. They probably have tens of thousands of such assets by now and converting them to work with a different engine would be quite involved.

Look at Skyrim at launch and look at it now. The visuals are almost unrecognizable and there are mods like Dragonborn Legacy, which is huge and something no one predicted at launch. The folks who take the time to mod Bethesda games are the absolute pinnacle of modders so I have no doubt that in a few years Starfield will be as unrecognizable as you want it to be.

Look at Skyrim at launch and look at it now. The visuals are almost unrecognizable and there are mods like Dragonborn Legacy, which is huge and something no one predicted at launch. The folks who take the time to mod Bethesda games are the absolute pinnacle of modders so I have no doubt that in a few years Starfield will be as unrecognizable as you want it to be.

I know that it is tempting to compare this two games, but there are major differences.

Skyrim was already a great game when it lauched in 2011. Starfield is a mediocre game.

Skyrim is an exception.

Fallout 4 is a better comparison for Starfield in my opinion.

I hope that you are right, but I am not sure, if it´s realistic expectations.

Skyrim? ) All bgs games look weak in terms of graphics. Filters, high-poly meshes, and 8k textures don't help. bgs games are compared with modern production engines (Unreal Engine, Unity, CryEngine, Source). 100-200 million polygons per scene are not enough today. The 1080 dpi image in the UE5 production scene is much more realistic than the 4K in CE. bgs requires advanced graphics technologies.The problem with the engine is precisely that the rtx4090 in the ce Starfield scene produces a much weaker picture than the rtx2060 in the ue5 scene.

Bethesda is sticking with the old engine because they are lazy.

End of story.

They know they can make millions on marketing, because people are sheep.

They are sheep herders, not game developers anymore.

Starfield isn't my cup of tea, but Elder Scrolls and Fallout are.

I've lost hope they can create a game worthy of those titles anymore.

Scary, but true.

I'm not sure how people sign on to work for Bethesda anymore save the money.

They have virtually no creative juice anymore.

You know that doesn't make sense, right? Because with Unity and Unreal, they could have picked up either if they were lazy and produced greater results.

I am quite convinced that they stuck with the old engine to make us modders more comfortable.

no, just suddenly switching to a new engine, its the same as starting to produce cars on the assembly lines of a tank factory. They have their own technology, their own staff, their own established production style. Changing an engine is not easy. Another thing is how much it was actually possible to upgrade ce. Was it possible to attach technology similar to Nanite to ce? Is it possible to create automatic generation of LODs? Was it possible to create advanced havok physics for zero gravity? And so on. questions.

Changing anything isn't easy, but when it's necessary you do what you need to do.

There is a reason why people aren't using flip phones in the 3rd decade of the 21st century - there are just better platforms for cell phones.

Don't tell Bethesda that though. Todd will slam you with the "Next Gen" diatribe even though literally nothing in Starfield even remotely looks or feels next gen.

Except the PC requirements, which is odd to say the least.

I don't doubt the talent and dedication of experienced modders HOWEVER I believe this game really needs a complete rework, from the ground up. There are so many fundamental problems, not the least being the insane number of loading screens, the procedurally generated dungeons, the tedious npc dialogue and mediocre main story. Modders can only do so much, given the weak initial framework (and engine limitations). Besides modders should not have to fix fundamental flaws, mods should basically enhance and extend a fully developed game, not fix a broken one. If Bethesda really intended modders to fix their game from the onset, they should be embarrassed, this is not a small indie studio after all, and their track record speaks for itself. They had the time, resources and money to make something really great, and ultimately failed to do so.

I disagree the company wouldn't choose an engine based on Modder's comfort. Bethesda games is not simply "modding", it's the pinnacle of the mod community, just look at the output of files and downloads from Beth games here on nexus. Modding IS the core and longevity of the game. Baldur's Gate 3 is such a masterpiece, but it will not be as lasting as starfield can be. Surely can be modded but the bulk of the game relies on cutscenes, voice acting, a linear world progression and storyline, there is only so much you can mod that. But starfield is truly an endless experience. Todd was right, we will be playing it for the decade, he just forgot to mention is thanks to the modders.

Look at the modding community these Beth games inspired, some modders even became developers, we share all forms of medium for free, test and peer review, like a hive mind not even AI will be able to duplicate. Also, the occasional drama gives some color to it. Starfield became game of the year for me because of its potential, a potential that we don't have to rely on the company to ever deliver, but on ourselves and our tools. Some crazies might even put an alternate earth fallout universe dimension or the planet of Nirn as a location you can visit and land on Skyrim and other provinces. Never doubt modders, what developers never think of, our heroic modders find a way to do.

I disagree the company wouldn't choose an engine based on Modder's comfort. Bethesda games is not simply "modding", it's the pinnacle of the mod community, just look at the output of files and downloads from Beth games here on nexus. Modding IS the core and longevity of the game. Baldur's Gate 3 is such a masterpiece, but it will not be as lasting as starfield can be. Surely can be modded but the bulk of the game relies on cutscenes, voice acting, a linear world progression and storyline, there is only so much you can mod that. But starfield is truly an endless experience. Todd was right, we will be playing it for the decade, he just forgot to mention is thanks to the modders.

Look at the modding community these Beth games inspired, some modders even became developers, we share all forms of medium for free, test and peer review, like a hive mind not even AI will be able to duplicate. Also, the occasional drama gives some color to it. Starfield became game of the year for me because of its potential, a potential that we don't have to rely on the company to ever deliver, but on ourselves and our tools. Some crazies might even put an alternate earth fallout universe dimension or the planet of Nirn as a location you can visit and land on Skyrim and other provinces. Never doubt modders, what developers never think of, our heroic modders find a way to do.

Pretty much this. :D

Beth uses this engine because it does what they want. End of Story. They support modding, because they get a few more sales because of it, but, the main reason being, it adds dramatically to the longevity of the game. Beth will also be churning out content for the game, from DLC sized expansions, to the equivalent of horse armor. (you know something like that is gonna show up. :D )