Experienced modders: Can this game be fixed?

GeevilEnius

It does what they want, which shouldn't be translated as what it should do in the 2020's.

Supporting modding is a good thing.

There is a big difference between releasing a game which stands on it's own merits - and one which stands on the merits of modders to make it a re-playable game.

Skyrim was probably the last game they have made which stood on it's own merits - despite it's flaws.

Edited by fraquar

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does what they want, which shouldn't be translated as what it should do in the 2020's.

Supporting modding is a good thing.

There is a big difference between releasing a game which stands on it's own merits - and one which stands on the merits of modders to make it a re-playable game.

Skyrim was probably the last game they have made which stood on it's own merits - despite it's flaws.

Just a matter of opinion. I have literally hundreds of hours into the game at this point, and I am not bored..... I am STILL finding new things to do, and explore. Are there issues? Yes. Are they game breaking? Nope. Granted, I have already installed a selection of QoL mods, and 'adjustments', but, I did that with EVERY beth game I have played.....

Is it worth ~ 200 hours ? Yes.

Will it be worth 4,000 hours like Fallout 4 (the apeothisis of open world games) ? Probably not.

Because emotional engagement: do you CARE about that world ? Not techie engine or superficial visual fluff nosense.

Seriously folks put down your pitchforks, LUTs and ENBs. Read up on the psychology of game design.

Does Starfield need to be fixed? That is the wrong question, in my opinion. Can Starfield be made even better? That is the right question.

Does Starfield need to be fixed? No, the vanilla game can stand on its own merits, in my opinion. Having completed the main quest and scores of side quests, I have found the vanilla game to be every bit as entertaining and glitch free as any of the other AAA games that I've played in recent years. Yes, there were some minor bumps in the road, but no more than I've experienced in other AAA games.

Can Starfield be made even better? Yes, and modders will make it so. Already there are several excellent OoL mods which enhance game play. As I continue to explore the Starfield universe, I am now happily using these mods.

Because emotional engagement: do you CARE about that world ?

That's the game's root problem.

Pending a complete overhaul of the story, the game isn't very immersive, and you don't feel like you can influence the fate of the galaxy either.

Given that we're talking about emotions, there are a lot of silly / lazy designs, like being able to develop a relationship with one of the crew members. All to be forced to "jump" (trying not to spoil) and then lose everything (including your soul sister). The game struggles to evoke any emotion or develop any kind of relationship between characters, and then cancels everything on the basis of unconvincing statements (I have to ... / it's extremely important to ...), which is just stupid.

So yes, I think the problem is more to do with the content (story/emotion) than the technical aspects, nothing that modders can't fix.

So yes, I think the problem is more to do with the content (story/emotion) than the technical aspects, nothing that modders can't fix.

Whilst modders can edit or add quests and companions they are unfortunatley isolated.

A complete narrative "I now care about the universe and NPCs in it" overhaul would be a multi-million $ undertaking.

Just consider the scope of the Fallout 76 Wastelanders update to make that engaging with live NPCs, and even then most of the actors are "meh" one time engagements. Yes I consider most of the Starfield NPCs to be "dead behind the eyes" much like the original 76 robots only format.

As an AI developer I despise BSG companion AI (no PANPC does not fix it), but there is a reason why I still do stuff in the Commonwealth after 5 THOUSAND hours with Curie, Hancock etal. Hell I even feel for the scavs in Tarkov because their chatter is so amusing (bosses are just aimbot cheats tho).

"A Tarkov scav is more engaging than a full Starfield Companion."

Blah blah Sarah was .disable and .markfordelete soon as my FIRST pass thru the Starfiled main quest let me, and the rest are no better. Infact I am just finishing a full SKK Fast Start New Game for Starfield and wondering if I should even bother to unlock the 4 companions for those with lower empathy thresholds.

/makes me sad, but feels better to share.

The big question is what will the CK allow. Modders should be able to add companions and quests and probably make new POIs on planets. Even re-write the main and faction quests. They probably won't be able to address what I consider the biggest problem in the game, which is the on-the-fly procedural generation of terrain, structures and NPCs - the things that make exploration meaningless for me. Or the loading screens which annoy so many people. It's just a guess though. We won't know for sure until the modding tools come out.

Edited by blackrat99

The big question is what will the CK allow. Modders should be able to add companions and quests and probably make new POIs on planets. Even re-write the main and faction quests. They probably won't be able to address what I consider the biggest problem in the game, which is the on-the-fly procedural generation of terrain, structures and NPCs - the things that make exploration meaningless for me. Or the loading screens which annoy so many people. It's just a guess though. We won't know for sure until the modding tools come out.

It was a huge mistake from Bethesda to not release the CK together with the game.

My guess is that they are planning a big creation club type thing for Starfield, Skyrim and FO4 combined that needs a lot of preparation.

Until it is out next year, most people have moved on from the game already. That includes modders and mod-creators.

It was a huge mistake from Bethesda to not release the CK together with the game.

My guess is that they are planning a big creation club type thing for Starfield, Skyrim and FO4 combined that needs a lot of preparation.

Until it is out next year, most people have moved on from the game already. That includes modders and mod-creators.

They don't release the modding tools with the game, as that complicates their bug hunt. After all, several million players are going to find more bugs than the comparatively few play-testers used in-house. I think the last time the CK came with the game, was Morrowind..... :D

They don't release the modding tools with the game, as that complicates their bug hunt. After all, several million players are going to find more bugs than the comparatively few play-testers used in-house. I think the last time the CK came with the game, was Morrowind..... :D

Was fixing bugs not the job of the mod-creators anyway with Bethesda games? ;)