Power Armor?

aurreth

Doing some minor tinkering with SF1Edit, I notice there are a LOT of things in there from Fallout, including references to power armor, such as the keyword "isPowerArmor". I'm assuming they started using FO4 or 76 as a base and never bothered to clean the old stuff out.

I have to wonder, however, if maybe there isn't enough left over to port power armor into the game at some point. The tools have to catch up of course, since things like NIF and textures would need to be updated, but it might be possible at some point (and please not as yet another Mantis replacer).

Takes a whole lot more than a keyword and some actorvalues to make functional power armors. I'm not gonna say "I doubt" it'll happen, but I doubt it'll happen. Especially any time soon.

Also yes. Bethesda has ALWAYS done this, they just build upon existing structure. You'll still find stuff left over from skyrim, and hidden references to oblivion and fallout 3 as well.

Edited by vTemporalZEROv

Takes a whole lot more than a keyword and some actorvalues to make functional power armors. I'm not gonna say "I doubt" it'll happen, but I doubt it'll happen. Especially any time soon.

Also yes. Bethesda has ALWAYS done this, they just build upon existing structure. You'll still find stuff left over from skyrim, and hidden references to oblivion and fallout 3 as well.

Actually, I EXPECT power armor to show up in Starfield. :D AFTER the official modding tools are released though... So, sometime next year.

1. To see if it can be done.

2. Why not?

3. They can be quite decorative.

4. Because I want one! Or a bunch.

"Add to the game"? Seriously, who cares? It's about fun.

Would need a function or trigger to play the animation, which would need to be added as well, of you getting in and out of the PA, would need a separate system for durability of the PA parts, which is an engine level system not easily "added" in, would need a system of protection from the PA, in previous games you have the PA frame which gives the fall damage, 40% DR, radiation resist, then 6 pieces on top of it, which in starfield there is only like 3, suit helmet and pack. So it's not "impossible" to do, just as I said I doubt it'll happen, at least over the next year or 2.

1. To see if it can be done.

2. Why not?

3. They can be quite decorative.

4. Because I want one! Or a bunch.

"Add to the game"? Seriously, who cares? It's about fun.

Would need a function or trigger to play the animation, which would need to be added as well, of you getting in and out of the PA, would need a separate system for durability of the PA parts, which is an engine level system not easily "added" in, would need a system of protection from the PA, in previous games you have the PA frame which gives the fall damage, 40% DR, radiation resist, then 6 pieces on top of it, which in starfield there is only like 3, suit helmet and pack. So it's not "impossible" to do, just as I said I doubt it'll happen, at least over the next year or 2.

I would think you would wear the PA INSTEAD OF your spacesuit.... and there are no animations for putting on your suit... you just equip it, and there ya go. But yeah, would likely require some heavy scripting to get it to work properly...... Someone will do it. :D

• 7 months later...
On 11/9/2023 at 9:26 AM, aurreth said:

Doing some minor tinkering with SF1Edit, I notice there are a LOT of things in there from Fallout, including references to power armor, such as the keyword "isPowerArmor". I'm assuming they started using FO4 or 76 as a base and never bothered to clean the old stuff out.

I have to wonder, however, if maybe there isn't enough left over to port power armor into the game at some point. The tools have to catch up of course, since things like NIF and textures would need to be updated, but it might be possible at some point (and please not as yet another Mantis replacer).

Just RESKIN the starborn armor and give the helmet a built in HUD for the PA read outs. Voila. T-60 in starfield.

I think to differentiate from fo4 I’d be more interested in seeing:

A: exoskeletons/cybernetics - power armor functions applied to more exoskeleton or cybernetic limb type functionality, meaning space suit is still mostly visible, closer to power armor frame only than full armor. Particularly for extreme high grav planet exploration.

B: oversized power armor - functional mechs since mechs are in the starfield gameworld. I know some people already testing out versions of mechs, but haven’t checked how successful the builds are so far.