Europa

aurreth

Ever wondered why Europa has the blue "settlelment" icon above it?  Well, I figured it out.

No, there is no hidden quest which takes you to a secret city.  There is no secret base researching a strange black monolith.  There is no starchild baby floating above it.

It's simple.  Bethesda goofed.  Europa is supposed to have a keyword allowing UC radiant quests.  That's what all the other moons of Jupiter have.  Europa, instead, has the keyword for "settled planet", despite being decidedly unsettled. 

Reported to the Community Patch people, hopefully they'll get it fixed.

19 hours ago, aurreth said:

Ever wondered why Europa has the blue "settlelment" icon above it?  Well, I figured it out.

No, there is no hidden quest which takes you to a secret city.  There is no secret base researching a strange black monolith.  There is no starchild baby floating above it.

It's simple.  Bethesda goofed.  Europa is supposed to have a keyword allowing UC radiant quests.  That's what all the other moons of Jupiter have.  Europa, instead, has the keyword for "settled planet", despite being decidedly unsettled. 

Reported to the Community Patch people, hopefully they'll get it fixed.

Base forms and keywords.. if only they could be used consistently. 🙂

At first I thought keywords were the source of the "Spacesuit is hidden/visible when it's not supposed to" issue but the problem may occur on certain inhospitable planets with proper keyword data.

Edited by LarannKiar

52 minutes ago, LarannKiar said:

Base forms and keywords.. if only they could be used consistently. 🙂

No kidding.  There are literally planetary conditions where you have to set the keyword "No Animals" to, you know, place animals on the planet.  Because why would anyone think the way to plop some bunnies down was to add the keyword saying there are no critters there.

Speaking of bunnies, is there one damn mammal on any planet?  It's all bugs, lizards, and lizardbugs.  Except maybe the foxkangaroo thing, I haven't taken a good look at those.

2 hours ago, aurreth said:

No kidding.  There are literally planetary conditions where you have to set the keyword "No Animals" to, you know, place animals on the planet.  Because why would anyone think the way to plop some bunnies down was to add the keyword saying there are no critters there.

Speaking of bunnies, is there one damn mammal on any planet?  It's all bugs, lizards, and lizardbugs.  Except maybe the foxkangaroo thing, I haven't taken a good look at those.

I haven't encountered any, aside from Foxbats.. which is unfortunate. Probably in early development it was clear the core physics system wouldn't receive the necessary improvements to make furry creatures. No to mention optimization, since they'd live in forests.

3 minutes ago, LarannKiar said:

I haven't encountered any, aside from Foxbats.. which is unfortunate. Probably in early development it was clear the core physics system wouldn't receive the necessary improvements to make furry creatures. No to mention optimization, since they'd live in forests.

Earth already has fox bats, they look nothing like that.  No, those are fox-faced wallabies, or something you'd get if a porcupine mated with a kangaroo.

Oh well, they could have been lazier I guess, since eventually everything evolves to look like a crab.  A few different sizes of crabs and they could have called it a day.

Anyway, yes, the keywords and the conditionals around them are a complete mess, with no consistency in how they are applied.  Same with LCTN (location) records.  You should be able to alter systems at scale by duplicating or changing the LCTN files, but nooooo, that doesn't work.  Half the information in the location records doesn't appear to actually do anything, they are crosslinked all to hell, and a bunch of stuff is controlled by files outside Starfield.esm that don't seem to be actually referenced anywhere.  I found the actual surface mapping/biome data in a BA2.