Bethesda's New Verified Creator Program

Pickysaurus

I've yet to see a rational argument as to why it's bad. It's always just the usual entitlement, paranoid doomsaying, and insistence that mod authors should be pure-hearted craftspersons, like santa's elves or oompa-loompas, unmotivated by the benefits of financial compensation. (An argument, in my observations, that is most commonly championed by people with very little personal contribution to the modding scene.)

My only concern is what they intend to do, if anything, about piracy, and how that could conceivably affect modding; I'm going to hazard a guess that Starfield mods might be the first introduction of copy protection on bethesda's esp/esm/esl file format. That poses genuine risks to "Mod Mods" that update or integrate features for or between mods, among other potential hassles.

Edited by Radioactivelad

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other issue is if all mod authors go the way of paid mods only, they'll lose a massive chunk of users.  Not everyone can afford to pay for every single mod.  I, for one, use over 900 mods.  Like hell I'm going to pay $5 for every single one.  That's $4000!  I live on a limited budget due to medical issues, I sure as hell can't afford $4000 for mods if they all go paid just for the "clout" of being headlined

Modders aren't obligated to make content for you, or available to you.

And regardless, I have doubts the casual modding scene will ever go anywhere- especially since you can't just waltz in to the Verified program, but need a vetted portfolio.

Edited by Radioactivelad

11 minutes ago, Radioactivelad said:

Modders aren't obligated to make content for you, or available to you.

And regardless, I have doubts the casual modding scene will ever go anywhere- especially since you can't just waltz in to the Verified program, but need a vetted portfolio.

First of all I never said they were obligated to make content to me.  I'm not trying to be entitled like you're making me sound like.  I simply had an opinion and used myself as an example. What I'm getting at is if all modders go the paid route (which yes they're entitled to do, it's their choice) there will be a significant decrease in mod usage.   

As a user on reddit said 3 yrs ago when Bethesda first announced the Creation Club paid mods:

"It's because it moves more into the realm of microtransactions for content like you see with Madden ultimate team.  It's a way for the company to continue to milk money out of the game without having to do anything substantial. It also opens it up for them to put out a subpar game at launch, and then make you pay for mods that should have been content included in the base game. Oh, you wanted these spells? Buy them in the CC! You would like more armors you say? Buy them in the CC! Etc. Many mod authors have patreons or other methods to where users can donate to them for their creations."

Edited by wpgfurry

What I'm getting at is if all modders go the paid route

Which is simply just not going to happen, for several reasons. The verification program has standards, and hosts exclusively original and sanitary content. That's particularly important for Skyrim and Fallout 4 considering how many weapon and armor mods for these games are just model ports from The Witcher and various FPS games. It's plainly irrational to say the casual modding scene will go anywhere because of "paid mods". The fact these products require payment is itself a reason for the casual modding scene to stay active.

As far as that quote goes, Haven't people been saying Bethesda puts out sub-par games that need to be fixed with mods since oblivion?

This whole argument falls apart at "make you pay for mods.": You don't *have* to pay for mods, just like you don't have to subscribe to those patreons.

Edited by Radioactivelad

Oh sure you don't HAVE to put mods in anything.  Just play the game like it was originally intended.  But people mod games because it makes said game more enjoyable.  I wasn't trying to argue, I simple had an opinion but apparently I'm not allowed to have those, so I'm done.  Congrats, you "won the arguement" that noone was having.  Picky asked for opinions so I gave mine.

4 minutes ago, wpgfurry said:

Oh sure you don't HAVE to put mods in anything.  Just play the game like it was originally intended.

This is your take away from this conversation, not mine.

It remains as I said, the only substantial arguments against a Paid Mods program are based entirely in doomsaying that it's going to kill casual/free modding because some such and other.

Edited by Radioactivelad

1 hour ago, Radioactivelad said:

This is your take away from this conversation, not mine.

It remains as I said, the only substantial arguments against a Paid Mods program are based entirely in doomsaying that it's going to kill casual/free modding because some such and other.

To be fair, a big part of the frustration has always been Bethesda's implementation too. The last time they integrated paid mods they only gave mod authors 25% of the sale. I'd be VERY curious to see what they're offering this time around, but can't seem to find any information on their sign-up page about what the revenue split is here. I wonder why...