Update Nightmares... (again...)

tcbflash

So, here we go again with Steam forcing updates on everyone's game and breaking everything. Here's what I don't get, I see so many super smart tech savvy, mod expert, geniuses on here, truly, it's amazing how creative and intelligent the best of the best are, on here, and, in every other area of troubleshooting they unfailingly create or explain the most logical and efficient solutions to help the rest of us out... except in THIS area... the whole "steam update breaking everything" issue... i don't understand why the most simple and obvious solution is virtually never mentioned, which is, just get the GOG version! Gog simply sells games that the customer then ACTUALLY OWNS and has on their machine, free of dependancy on any middleman application to launch, and NEVER any forced updates! Why is this not the OBVIOUS solution??? Like, seriously, what am I missing? 

~dan

Well I bought my own Hard Copy ... sadly ... it registers through and with Steam. GOG - Store ( Hard DVD Copy ) and such.

I cannot tell you since 2020 how many times until 2021 ( Dec ) that I turned off AUTO UPDATE and KEPT IT OFF ....

Yet .. seems Steam can OVER RIDE and screw people up anyways.

Yeah if you buy from GOG and just download the offline backup version, you just install it wherever you want on your computer and can launch the game directly with no other application required, it's SO SUPERIOR to the Steam system of doing things, i am just baffled why anyone would even opt for steam at all, let alone the majority... maybe people just are unaware. (shrug)

Edited by tcbflash

12 hours ago, tcbflash said:

Yeah if you buy from GOG and just download the offline backup version, you just install it wherever you want on your computer and can launch the game directly with no other application required, it's SO SUPERIOR to the Steam system of doing things, i am just baffled why anyone would even opt for steam at all, let alone the majority... maybe people just are unaware. (shrug)

I completely agree with you about the GOG version of SSE AE and the problems with using Steam. The only game I play through Steam anymore is Starfield.

What you are forgetting I believe, is that Steam has features that many people enjoy using besides the games it has. I believe this is why so many people use Steam, if all they cared about were the games migrating off Steam would be a no-brainier.